Pregnancy Week by Week

Nikky5000

I now have another spot for a female puppy the lady put a deposit on the puppy was excited Itold her about contracts she seemed fine at first but has now changed her mind because of the contract it is a fairly standard contract covers all the topics of other pets in the house the living conditions the puppies will live in it covers breeding rights. To me every good breeder should have contracts. The lady knew about them before putting a deposit down I also told her the only circumstances for deposits are if mom doesn't have a big enough litter or doesn't have enough of male or female puppies if the puppy was to passes away during the time I have it. She seemed totally fine she put the deposit down on the puppy now 2 months later right before the puppies are due I get an email saying I am going to pass on a puppy I feel I shouldn't have to sign a contract as this is my and my husbands and our kids first puppy may I have my deposit back. Now I just told this lady last week puppies could be born any time with in a week and a half she was excited saying she couldn't wait to see pictures never mentioned any problems she might have with the contract. Am I crazy or wrong to not refund the money? I feel this was a huge inconvenience now I have to call everyone who wanted to put a deposit down and let them know I now have opening if they want it and go back over interview process I hate doing this right before puppies are due I usually do it before I even breed. Sorry I am just really upset that she waited so long. But at least she didn't wait until the day they were born.

Last edited:

Hope Hounds

You do have the right to ask people sign a contract. I know for myself it makes me hesitant to buy a dog from somebody who makes me sign one. I feel like if I pay to own the dog I have the right to breed, show etc, so I pay the extra for full paperwork. The only reason I would have a puppy buyer sign a contract would be if a puppy had defects and I wanted to make sure it was never bred. I don't believe in withholding paperwork. Everyone has the right to register their dog if they want to. A lot of people don't get around to registering but at least they deserve the option.
So far as the deposit goes, no you don't have to give them the deposit back. That's that whole point of a deposit. Otherwise you would just have 10 people saying yeah put me on a list and then all 10 could back out. If it was me, I would give the gal until the puppies are born to decide if she wants to back out or not. At least that way she can see the puppy and then decide if she wants it or not. If her gender, color, etc isn't born then she gets the money back anyways.

Last edited:

Nikky5000

Thank you hope hounds the only reason I have contracts because many many years ago on my first litter I didn't have contracts I met everyone felt comfortable with them. So I give everyone there puppies at 8 weeks old. Then one of the owners called when her puppy was about 12 weeks old saying could I watch it she had to go out of town on business I of course agreed when I went to pick the puppy I noticed it was a little under weight I also kept a puppy from the litter so I mentioned that I was taking the puppy I had to the vet for micro shipping she then tells me can you take my puppy to she needs all her shots I asked her she has even been to the vet she tells me not yet I just have been so busy. So I take the puppy home and feed it. It was very scary when other dogs would come up to her while eating she refused to even go near the food if any dog was near it. I remembered the lady had an older Jack Russell terrier So I take her to the vet and ask her about it she tells it is very common behavior for a dog who has been attacked by another and that could also be the reason she was under weight. So later I call the lady and ask about it she says yeah my Jack Russell is a little food aggressive and says it's no big problem. If she would have mentioned that before there was no way I would have gave her a puppy. So then finally the lady gets back ask me if I would drop her off I say yes well I was running 5 minutes late because of traffic the lady calls me very rude demanding I get to her in 10 minutes or she's leaving and I will have to come back tomorrow I tried to explain to her that I was running late she gets even more mad and tells me never mind I don't have time to wait for you all night. So the next day I get there give her money back that she spent on the puppy I took her back home and 2 weeks later I was able to re home her with a great family and a vet tech. This is why I do contracts to avoid situations like these.

Nikky5000

On a happier note Starr is on day 54 in 2 days she have them safely at anytime. But her due date is in 9 days. The longer she keeps them in the better but you never know when a dog is going to go into labor until they're in labor very ironic :p :)

Nikky5000

It may be show time Starr looked like she had a contraction :eek: can't be sure because she got up and started digging and went under the covers hoping it is just the pressure of puppies moving down. I took her temp. Against everything just to see it is at 99.5 so maybe she will hold on til Saturday. If not we might get puppies tonight or tomorrow she is in her box stretched out.

COCO

Good luck and hope she holds on until it's safer! I've been reading the thread regularly and can't wait to see the pups once they come!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikky5000

Thank you it was a false alarm temp. is back at 100.3. So we might make it past Saturday or at least to Saturday

Nikky5000

Starr keeps wanting to lay on the floor which is hardwood floors probably because it is cooler. Just watching her she reminds me of when she had her first litter I think she is about the same size if not bigger. Her vulva is definitely large and swollen. Sorry but I gotta give updates on everything

Nell

Many breeders have contracts here in the UK, but they usually only cover things like breeding and restricting the new owner from selling puppy on etc.

When I have had puppies in the past I keep people on a waiting list until the pups are born but don't take a deposit until they have seen the puppy. You have to see this from both sides, they have to trust you to give the deposit back if you don't get what they want.

What happens if someone leaves a deposit on a girl and there is only one in the litter and she is underweight or sickly?

Personally I would never pay a deposit for something I hadn't seen. If it were me I would give this lady her deposit back, you have plenty of time to find these puppies lovely homes after you know what you get.

Nikky5000

The whole reason I do deposits is because people will constantly keep changing their minds and not a puppy. I do have a waiting list of people who didn't put a deposit down and they will be the last people to know about puppies until I contact everyone who put down a deposit. With a deposit it will secure a puppy. Plus if I wait until puppies are here they won't get to choose a puppy until they are over 2 weeks old and had their first shots. Anyways I don't guarantee colors on my list they don't usually pick I will pair them with a puppy that meets all their requirements. That is why the puppy part is important depending on what their requirements are for a puppy how active they are I will be able to pair a puppy for them that is perfect

Nikky5000

We think puppies soon she has been whining a lot and very clingy. She also is leaking milk so puppies should be here soon :)

Nikky5000

I think in another day or 2 she will have them. She is eating less and less. Puppies are moving so much and they are so far down. I wouldn't be surprised if she went into labor tomorrow

Nikky5000

We are really watching Starr. She is starting to nest more and more. We never know when she's going into labor because she will continue to eat her temp. Never changes. It's just she'll be sitting there next thing you know she'll get in her box panting and digging then about 30 mins later the first puppy is on it's way out. Thinking about trying to x-ray again since she knows the new vet a little better she has been there once so it shouldn't be so bad

Nikky5000

We have an x-ray scheduled at 10:20am hoping it turns out great and we can see all the puppies and their sizes and depending on how far down the puppies are they can give us an estimated time on when she'll go into labor

Nell

Am I understanding right that you don't let people choose their puppy?

I have never heard of that here. I just don't understand how you can take deposits when you don't know what you will get. What if you have all girls and three people have given you money for boys??

Personally I wouldn't want anyone else choosing a dog for me. Do you guarantee to take the puppy back if it doesn't work out?

Nikky5000

Yes of course I take the puppy back in one of my replies I mentioned that I took a puppy back and had to work with the puppy retrain it then I rehomed it. Out here a lot of people will match puppies with owners especially if they have other dogs or are disabled. As I mentioned before I never guarantee sex of puppies if I don't have a certain sex I will refund the money. I never had a problem before with this. They always have a choice on whether or not they want a puppy if they see a puppy they like more I always tell them the reasons I don't think the puppy is right for them either being that the puppy is very active and they told me they want a calmer puppy or they have a dominant dog at home then they would want more of a submissive puppy. There are lots of factors that I include when pairing people with puppies. The puppies I usually pair with families the families are super happy and all my buyers told me the puppy they got was perfect for their families. I keep in touch with everyone and they couldn't be more happy with their puppies.

Nikky5000

Her temp. has been down all night she has been pacing,restless, and nesting. All signs of labor sometime today she will have them. Can't wait to meet them