Pregnancy Week by Week

Nikky5000

Akc allows them. It's rare to go to a dachshund event and not see piebalds. Alot of breeders over here breed piebalds my favorite piebald I seen so far was a piebald with brindle markings in it's spots.

Nikky5000

Yes she was I would have bought her but I have enough dogs especially since I keep all my dogs even after they are retired from breeding.

Nikky5000

Yes a lot of breeders after they retire their dogs they will sell them. I couldn't do it I love my dogs to much and would feel to guilty about getting rid of them after I can't breed them anymore.

Lupita

Such a nice variety of pups! Glad everyone is doing well.
On the topic of breeders re-homing "retired" breeding dogs, I'm curious:

How could a breeder possibly keep all those dogs? If the purpose of breeding is to strive to better the breed, wouldn't a breeder constantly be changing up their breeding stock? I mean, if a bitch never produced any puppies that were better then her, why keep breeding her? And if she did, wouldn't you want to breed the better quality pups? So in my mind, if you kept all the dogs ever used for breeding, you would end up with dozens of dogs, depending on how many years you (the breeder) continued breeding dogs. And that's just the females!

I don't mean to offend, and I have no experience breeding dogs myself, but at a certain point (20 dogs? 30?) wouldn't the dogs who've retired from breeding have a better life moving into a home where they would get more attention and spoiling? I'm sure it wouldn't be easy on the breeder, but it's probably hard placing puppies as pets too! I know I would want to keep them all.

Nikky5000

I completely agree and that's why when I can't breed my dogs I have now. My breeding program will be done and I will no longer breed anymore.

Penny

Now that sound weird "even after they are retired from breeding ". There are people who just get rid of their dogs when they get old?:eek:
I think framing it that way doesn't do it justice.

When we were ready to adopt another doxie, I contacted a show breeder and let her know that we would love to take in an adult dog and especially love the piebalds. If she knew anyone, could she give us their name. Well, she had a girl that had a couple of litters and was ready to retire, and that suited us just fine. We were questioned quite a bit, and on the day we came to pick her up, the lady cried, and so did we. I have no doubt that she had the best interest of the girl in mind, that going to a pet home where she could be the queen of the castle would be a kindness, rather than being one of many. It was very difficult for the breeder to let her go and after getting to know this sweet girl, I came to understand how very darling and charming she was and what a sacrifice it must have been for the lady to let her go to a pet home.

The lady insisted that we have a secure kennel when we picked her up, that she travel by kennel in the car or we couldn't take her. We got all her papers and vet records, and we promised to give her updates on her settling in. We had an older male that she could cuddle with and they got along great. It was such a good experience that we adopted an adult male from her later when it was his time. They had been good buddies and it seemed like a natural thing to bring him home too.

I feel that show breeders are doing their best to improve the breed. They put up their puppies to compete against the best of the best. They are very conscious of health testing, temperaments, conformation, etc and we have been very privileged to adopt from them, and also we are making room for the next generation of champion dogs. Although that may not seem very important to some, I've been to many dachshund meet ups and have seen many dogs that look like doxie mixes, and these families have paid the same amount of money to get their puppy as a breeder who goes the extra mile to show and do health testing. I have spoken to women who were breeding their doxie and they told me that they got their dog from a pet store so they have no idea where they came from, what conditions the dogs were living in, their health issues, etc. The income is what they are looking for, not bettering the breed. One lady told me that this is how she pays for her son's hockey. Not what I want to support personally.

As you can tell, we have been very happy with our dogs and I wanted to give a different perspective. Engli was 4 when we brought her home, Beau was exactly on his 3rd birthday, and Georgia wasn't even 2 yet. Not old by any means.

Thanks for your patience. lol

Lupita, I was typing this up when you posted.

Hunter's Parade

Interesting to learn something new about other countries.I have never heard something like that in Latvia.I know some breeders who owns 7 or 8 dachshunds,mostly females(it's always possible to find a stud),some of them are old, up to 16 years and they are still loved,some of them sometimes still goes to shows just for fun or to get an Veteran Champion.

As for the breeding plans,it's possible to co-owner some dogs,they live in other houses,but it's possible to keep working with them.
I believe nobody here would respect a breeder who just gives away their dogs just because they got old.First of all they are pets and family members.
One thing is replacing a puppy,other is replacing a grown up dog who has been your beloved pet and slept in one bed with you for 7 years(we don't breed females after 7 years and males after 9 here)
I have thought what will I do when all my three females will be old and retired.Perhaps I will have their daughters or granddaughters at that time,but if not I will just stop breeding for a while and start doing that when I will be able to add a new dog.Replacing the old ones wouldn't be an option.

Nikky5000

Wow that's interesting I never heard of breeding past 5. Most people here will stop breeding a female once they turn 5.

Hunter's Parade

That's because we can legally breed only one litter per year from one female.Most breeders will breed their females only 2-3 times in lifetime.

crystalclear1027

They are really beautiful pups! I can't believe that they can nurse after a c-section, doesn't it hurt her? Good luck with the babies! I am glad Star did well during the surgery.

Nikky5000

No it doesn't hurt her to nurse them if anything it would hurt her not to nurse them. Right after her c-section the vets put her and the puppies together she immediately started trying to nurse them. Plus it's better for the puppies to nurse her milk is by far better than any milk I could by or make for them.