Where should puppy sleep?

love'laska

Hi all,

Quick question: where did you let your baby sleep when he or she first came home? Last night Alaska slept with me because it was her first night here and we got home at about 3 AM so it was easier to just settle down with her instead of making sure she was okay in her pen. Surprisingly, she didn't wake up and slept for five or six hours and managed to hold her bladder. Then this morning she went potty on her potty pad and then slept in her pen for another hour or so. She took naps in her pen all day, as well as on my lap.

This evening, I currently have her sleeping in her bed in her pen. The pen is big enough to fit both her bed and her potty pad with ample space. This will be her arrangement when I start classes in a couple of weeks and she'll be left alone for blocks of two hours (never more than three times a day). She appears to be very content at the moment.

I don't want this to be her permanent sleeping arrangement. Growing up, our family dogs were always welcome in bed with us. This is eventually where I'd love to have Alaska sleep- in my bed. I was just wondering if this is something I should have her start now or if I should wait until she's a bit older.

Where have you had your new pups sleep? Thanks!

Nell

I made a bed beside my bed so I could put my hand down to settle her. I used a deep (so she couldn't jump out) cardboard box with plenty of cosy blankets in so she could bury herself (Connie loves to be covered up when she is sleeping). The box was quite small so she couldn't get off the bed to pee.

Every time she woke and cried I carried her down stairs put her out to pee then put her straight back to bed, I didn't even speak to her because I didn't want her to get the idea that night time was playtime!

She still sleeps in a bed down beside mine and doesn't wake at all at night now. Most mornings if I have time she comes up on the bed for a cuddle in the morning and we both think its the best part of our day!!

love'laska

Thanks to both of you for sharing. She ended up sleeping with me last night. She never whined or woke up up until seven this morning and then she went potty (both) on her pad, and went back to sleep with me until ten AM.

Should she be waking up more to go potty or should I be waking her up more, even if she's sleeping through the night really well?

Nell

Let sleeping dogs lye.... that's what I say lol.

I am so pleased she is doing so well! I wouldn't wake her, hopefully she will wake you if she needs to go. It is surprising how quickly they can learn to hold their bladder at night.

If you are happy to have her sleep with you then I would leave her where she is and enjoy the cuddles!

love'laska

I think I will end up letting her just sleep with me, instead of first in her pen and then with me later on. I am happy that way, since one of the reasons I wanted a dog so was I wasn't alone at night. :p

Right now we're working on her liking her pen during the day. Just now we did some clicker training. She got a click and treat every time all four paws were on the floor and she wasn't whining. She got more treats if I went out of sight for a few seconds and she was sitting or laying in her dog bed when I came back in sight. She's incredibly smart. I'm very impressed.

I just want to thank all of you for being so helpful!

GJBain

First I want to say... I saw some pictures that you posted of your new puppy. Very nice! Looks very similar to our Dachshund that we just lost after 17 years and 3 months. I attached a picture of her when she was a pup.

When we got our girl, Samantha she slept with us from day one and continued to for 17 years. The only down side I can say is 17 years later it is very very hard for me to go to sleep at night now without having her right next to me. I miss her very much 2-1/2 months after losing her.

Attachments

Last edited:

love'laska

You're right, they do look very similar!

I have been lurking on the boards for a month or so now, so I did hear about the passing of your sweet girl. I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad she was able to bring you joy for such a long time. I'm already dreading the day something will happen to Alaska, but I have comfort knowing we have many years together first.

I've made my decision that she will be sleeping with me at night from now on.

sherlock

Watson sleeps in his own crate at night, never in our bed. But that's just personal preference, mainly because I hate having a dog take up my sleeping space and waking me up while rearranging in the middle of the night, because it's bad enough when DH does it :p

love'laska

Watson sleeps in his own crate at night, never in our bed. But that's just personal preference, mainly because I hate having a dog take up my sleeping space and waking me up while rearranging in the middle of the night, because it's bad enough when DH does it :p
I hate sleeping alone. Last year, I slept in my boyfriend's dorm every night because being alone at night gives me insane anxiety. This is one of the reasons I got a dog! Haha. I can definitely see why other people would prefer having their bed stay their bed, but I don't mind sharing! I thought I'd wait a bit because I anticipated her having potty accidents in the middle of the night, but the past two nights she's slept soundly all night.

crystalclear1027

From day one, our puppies never had an accident in our bed, Lily sleeps with me and my husband, and Augie sleeps with my daughter when she is home. They love the bed and no when it is time for bed.

sherlock

I hate sleeping alone. Last year, I slept in my boyfriend's dorm every night because being alone at night gives me insane anxiety. This is one of the reasons I got a dog! Haha. I can definitely see why other people would prefer having their bed stay their bed, but I don't mind sharing! I thought I'd wait a bit because I anticipated her having potty accidents in the middle of the night, but the past two nights she's slept soundly all night.
Yeah, I understand that too!! We did let Watson sleep with us on his first night home, and even then he would get in my face and cry and bump his little wet nose on me to wake me up when he needed to potty.

I always start them in their crate... but that never lasts very long... mine all sleep in my bed too!
PD started in the crate, too.

About 30 minutes later I was on the floor with my arm in the crate to keep him company. I think that's where I slept for the next couple of hours.

We've both slept in the bed ever since.

And so has every new dog to our home.

love'laska

PD started in the crate, too.

About 30 minutes later I was on the floor with my arm in the crate to keep him company. I think that's where I slept for the next couple of hours.

We've both slept in the bed ever since.

And so has every new dog to our home.
Hahaha. I can definitely understand why you moved him to the bed! Much comfier for the both of you!

petsrme307

My dogs sleep in my bed. When I got the first one as a puppy she slept in her crate so she wouldn't pee all over my bed. It only took her a couple weeks to be able to hold it all night.
My other one I got as an adult and she has been perfect about holding it all night even when sleeping with me. She has a habit of waking me up in the mornings though!

love'laska

My dogs sleep in my bed. When I got the first one as a puppy she slept in her crate so she wouldn't pee all over my bed. It only took her a couple weeks to be able to hold it all night.
My other one I got as an adult and she has been perfect about holding it all night even when sleeping with me. She has a habit of waking me up in the mornings though!
Alaska has been sleeping with me and can almost hold it all night. I have her on a late feeding schedule (10 AM, 4 PM, 10 PM) so she goes to bed at the same time as me (midnight ish) and sleeps a little later. She usually wakes me up to go out at 4 and 7 AM and then we sleep again until 10.

lisaboo

Piper is not fully potty trained yet so she sleeps in her crate at night. Just because I don't want her having free run of the house to make messes while we sleep. She has never had run of our house yet and won't until we know we can trust her. Probably about a year old or so she may never sleep with us it just depends.

Right now we like the crate and so does she it is her den and her space. It makes her feel safe and that is what is important.