What color is Rosie?

Qtrpony

This is Rosie. She is 2 years old. When I got her she was very light and had a black nose. Now she has darkened to a light red. Can anyone tell me what color she is?

Thank you

Qtrpony

Nobody:confused: I was trying to figure out if she is a dilute red or an ee red. I would love some expert opinions

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Black is dominant so she is either Bb or BB. ee is a separate locust, and covers EVERYTHING. Even merle/dapple. So it's really hard to know what her genotype is.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
There are many locusts for colour...

K (dominant black), A (sable, agouti, black and tan and masks), M (merle/dapple), B (black or brown), E (Recessive red), I (intensity), S (wgite spotting/piebald) and I may have forgotten something...

All of these locusts act independently from eachother and can work with or against the others.

Qtrpony

I like dabbling in genetics, but I haven't been in school for awhile lol. This is what I have so far... She also had one cream long haired parent. Plus I think she is dapple. She has some dark spots on her ears.

a^t a^t Bb Cc^ch DD ee gg Ll Mm Ss^p Tt

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
ee red cannot show merle/dapple. I don't know what you mean by the c's, g's, t's and d's. You missed K. L I'm assuming is for coat length.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Plus coat length has several locusts, too. One for length, one for curl, and one for wire.

Qtrpony

ee red cannot show merle/dapple. I don't know what you mean by the c's, g's, t's and d's. You missed K. L I'm assuming is for coat length.
Cc^ch = 1 chinchilla alle, gg^= grey, Tt= ticking (in piebalds), DD=dilute, Ll= carrier for long haired. I didn't have wire because she isn't carrier. But I could add ww. Im not familiar with K, as I thought BB is black.

I haven't done gentics in awhile and when I did, it was horses. So much simpler!

Im totally open to correction

Last edited:

Penny

I'm not much help but I can say that many breeders in the US mislabel ee reds as cream because they are born light. Having a cream parent then really doesn't give you reliable information.

Qtrpony

I totally agree. I know she is red. I wasn't looking for a cream when I got her and I didn't pay extra for her. She looks just like her mom, but I think her dad was a true english cream. But I don't have papers, so I can't check. And so many dogs are mislabeled as creams when they are really red. So pedigree doesn't always help.

I just thought is was fun to write out her traits do some brain excerises

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
K is dominant black and brindle. The A locust cannot act on K but can on K^br and k. The K locust can be B (black) or b(brown) it just controls the ammt of eumelanin (black) or Pheomelanin(red) (gonna have to check spelling... I likely spelled it wrong)

Yes, the D locust... totally forgot that one lol. The chinchilla thing, I don't think is in dogs quite honestly, abd there is no G locust. The ticking is on the S locust (white spotting)

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
What we absolutely know about your dog's colour if she is an ee is that she is ee, BB or Bb, DD or Dd, K^br k or kk, SS (no white. The spotting gene is an incomplete dominance thing), and her A and m locusts could be anything.

English creams are ee reds or Clear sables. With a different intensity (look at how many varyations in colour labs and goldens have)

Clear sables are almost indistinguishable from ee reds. However, clear sables CAN show some dapple as they are able to produce some eumelanin, which ee reds cannot. So if your girl even has ONE black hair.... my genotyping goes out the window lol

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Omg look at me totally put my foot in it...

Of course there is a greying locust! Dammit. I'm an idiot. I've spent so much time learning from BC people who dont HAVE the greying gene, that I totally forgot about my poodles and the research I've done there!

So then I went and looked up ticking and sure enough... I'd run off at the mouth there, too. Yes, there is a ticking locust.

There is no chinchilla, tho, lol