We've added a new deaf pack member!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
And he's a CAT!!!

I decided to get a cat a few weeks ago, and started looking seriously last week. I was thinking I'd have to get a kitten, to get everything I wanted in a cat. I wanted on that would, not only be good with the dogs, but that would play with the dogs. I wanted an indoor, friendly, cuddly cat, who is food oriented so I could clicker train it, and one that would accept baths, I also prefer male cats.

I did not think, in any way, that I would be able to find a deaf cat, as they're very rare... especially one that would fit my criteria...

Then, on my third day of looking at Kijiji (not including trips to the shelter and SPCA) There was a deaf cat posted!!!

And he's PERFECT!!!! He's pure white, with blue eyes, he's 8 months old, neutered, thankfully not declawed, playful, cuddly, great with the dogs, and... get this.... LIKES BATHS! (I found him playing in the water in the bathtub, so I bathed him :) ) He came with everything he needs, and has settled in perfectly. I got him at 5:30 last night and he ate, played, used the litterbox, and slept with me and my 3 dogs in the bed (though his purring right next to my head will take a bit to get used to :) ) I even was able to do a clicker training session with him last night (LOVES freeze-dried liver :p )

I cannot believe a perfect deaf cat came along, just when I started looking for one! I'm seriously impressed!

i haven't decided on a name yet. he came with the name Casper, but it's too common, I need a literary name for him (all my animals are named after literary characters) But I'm leaning towards Merlin

So if any of you have any ideas, that'd be great.

unfortunately, I cannot put pics on the library computers, so I'll have to wait until my roommate gets home to post any of the 300+ pics I've already taken of him :)

ooooooh I get to buy a whole new bunch of pet stuff! there's some pretty cool cat stuff out there!

sherlock

Awww yay!! I've been wanting a cat, but it's not feasible for us right now :( But it's so awesome you found a little guy who fits in so perfectly!!

Doxmom

Congrats, Sara~ Knowing your committment to your animals with disabilities, I'd say that new kitty just hit the 'kitty lottery' with you as his mom!! Lots of good luck with the new family member..;)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Thanks guys :) He's a pretty cool guy... except when he wakes me up batting my nose in the middle of the night LOL.

And it's not so much my commitment to animals with disabilities... it's more fun having deaf pets :p

jax's_mommy

Congrats on the new addition! Cats are awesome :) I have 3 (4 if you count Jax lol he acts like them)
Oh and Merlin sounds like a good name :)

Last edited: