Two new puppies won't stop fighting....

rosersmk

I've had the dachshund puppy for almost 2 weeks. We also got a cavalier puppy last Thursday. I was hoping they would be best friends, sleep together, and grow up together, but so far it's not working out that way. The cavalier is nipping at the dachshund constantly and the dachshund is very aggressive and in "attack" mode. The cavalier puppy is just playing, but he bites hard and the dachshund doesn't like it. I've had to resort to separating them almost completely. They will sleep together, but if they are awake, I can't even put them on the floor together... they just dive for each other and never stop fighting. What can I do? Did I make a big mistake by getting 2 puppies of different breeds? Or maybe I just made a big mistake of getting 2 puppies!! My gut tells me to just let them go at it, but it always seems to escalate and they don't ever stop. The cavalier is the one at risk of getting hurt. He's confused and doesn't understand why the dachshund is attacking. I also don't want the dachshund to learn to be aggressive, so I'm at a loss here. It's exhausting having to continuously hold one of the puppies all day long... sometimes I'll take one downstairs with me and leave one upstairs with my boys.

Any suggestions????

Last edited:

jax's_mommy

Congrats on the 2 new babies! They are gorgeous.

Its more than likely play. They're young puppies, and that's what they do. Being that young, when they react like it hurts, more than likely it doesn't. It just scares them. Since they sleep together they trust each other, and I don't think they would if they were enemy's :)

I'd say unless it really escalates to seriously hurt one another (not sure if they really can at that age?) I would just let them go at it. They could also very well trying to decided who is going to be boss, haha.

When they are doing great with each other, praise big time! Lots of loving and very yummy treats! (that will help with house breaking as well, to do that right after they completed their business outside :) )

Just be patient Remember they're just little babies :D

Hope all goes well! Please let us know how it all works out :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
OMG awe they EVER CUTE!!!

ok, I'm over my awe fest LOL. Jax's Mommy is right, they are learning bite inhibition from eachother. Question, how old were the puppies when you got them? and was the Cav an only puppy, and a weird question, you might think, can your Cav hear? (I ask this because it's very common for deaf puppies to act like your cav does) it sounds like the Cav never learned to inhibit his bite, and he needs to, or your Dachshund and the human members are going to be in pain... let them teach eachother and ALWAYS end any game you are playing if you feel any puppy teeth (yell OUCH! then stand up, cross your arms and turn away in a huff! LOL).