Trouble potty training..

cbressler1976

I have a chiweenie (half dachshund/half chihuahua)...she looks more like her mom, (dachshund) and acts more like her too, so I figured that I would ask for help in the Dachshund place.

My girl is four months old and I have had her for over a month now. I have been potty training her for that long too! She knows to tell me she has to go potty, so I don't understand why she does this! She asked to go potty, so I took her outside and she went...then I brought her back in (she wanted to stay outside, but I had to do some things)...so what does she do? she pees on the floor again!! Two days with no accident and then this happens.. She just went pee too! I want to be able to take the gates down...but I'm not sure that i will ever be able to.. She tells me when she has to go, so I'm not sure why this happened..

SSG.House

Hello and welcome! Accidents are accidents...unless she was just getting revenge for cutting her outside time short lol!
My Eli takes forever....he just seems more interested in scratching around, eating sticks, and sniffing about.

MatthewLP

<giggle> sorry Just sounds familiar.

It's getting closer that she is coming into age (sexual maturity) and why they recommend having her spayed around 6 months. Not that this is a sole cause, however it does play an influence in her potty training.

Also, both of my females like to (pardon the pun) If they want outside just to screw around for the sake of smells, bells and puppy dog tails. What I call a "courtesy pee" and come right inside and pee inside like (oh yeah I forgot).

I would suggest you limit (For now) playing and potty times. Potty is for potty times and not for playing. If you see them screwing around. bring them in, wait 15 to 20 minutes and try again. if they don't poop or pee in 5 minutes (give or take) bring them back in and try again, so they have a clear understanding of play times and potty times. Don't let them lollygag about.

Dachshunds are notorious for lollygagging and sniffing about. I don't blame them for being a hound and sniffing all the yummy smells outside but be persistent and consistent.

cbressler1976

Thank you for your replies!! She did go when I took her outside... I brought her inside and then she went again! I think she did it because she wanted to go back outside because she ran to the door after.. She just got spay about two weeks ago...(right when she turned 4 months..) I know it was a little early, but she LOVES the park and the male dogs wouldn't leave her alone and I got a little bit worried... I didn't want to end up with a bunch of puppies that I didn't know what to do with... ..she is I guess more close to 4 1/2 months old... should she still be having accidents? thank you all!! ...and thank you again for your replies!

cbressler1976

<giggle> sorry Just sounds familiar.

It's getting closer that she is coming into age (sexual maturity) and why they recommend having her spayed around 6 months. Not that this is a sole cause, however it does play an influence in her potty training.

Also, both of my females like to (pardon the pun) If they want outside just to screw around for the sake of smells, bells and puppy dog tails. What I call a "courtesy pee" and come right inside and pee inside like (oh yeah I forgot).

I would suggest you limit (For now) playing and potty times. Potty is for potty times and not for playing. If you see them screwing around. bring them in, wait 15 to 20 minutes and try again. if they don't poop or pee in 5 minutes (give or take) bring them back in and try again, so they have a clear understanding of play times and potty times. Don't let them lollygag about.

Dachshunds are notorious for lollygagging and sniffing about. I don't blame them for being a hound and sniffing all the yummy smells outside but be persistent and consistent.

Oh, I see what you were saying... the courtesy pee thing!! I bet that is exactly it!! She is smart like that!!! ugh!! lol I just want to be able to take the gates down... lol I guess that won't be until after the puppy stage...lol...

cbressler1976

oh, I had one more question.... do your dogs dig a lot? Amber digs and digs and digs...lol... Her mother was a Dachshund and her father was a chihuahua...I'm wondering which of those was a digger...lol...

SSG.House

oh, I had one more question.... do your dogs dig a lot? Amber digs and digs and digs...lol... Her mother was a Dachshund and her father was a chihuahua...I'm wondering which of those was a digger...lol...
Eli loves to dig! From what I've read they are masters of tunneling under fences etc.

MatthewLP

Yes Dachshunds can be quite the little digger. I don't allow mine to dig, however I can't watch there little butts all the time.

Keeping there nails trimmed or short will help some.

As a final note to Dachshund potty training. They are tuff to break and potty train. It can take up to a year to a 1 1/2. They have the basic understanding, however it doesn't seem to "SINK IN" right away. Keep at it.... but don't be too frustrated it may happen on occasion until they fully get a clear understanding.

My Little Girl Khloe, was a poop eater..... I would clean up the mess to keep her from getting it and one day a 1 1/2 later, she smells it a runs now. <Shurg> Just like kids they grow out of it.

They can be right down stubborn some times <laughing>

sherlock

Grr Dr. Watson does the same thing, only with his poo...we'll go outside, he'll tinkle, and then come inside and go on the floor!!! Drives me crazy!

If it happens again try to note time of day and if there are increased trips to the water bowl. Milo can produce major pees every 15 minutes to half hour, but only around 5 to 7pm. The rest of the day, and night, are fine. He does not mark, just overflows...

I even collected a sample to take to the lab to check for a bladder infection and sugar (diabetes). It was easy, though my husband expressed disbelief that I was holding a recycled yogurt cup under the dog. I rushed the specimen, stat, to a hospital lab where I know people and the results were negative. So we have just learned to anticipate his kidney rhythm.

Penny

When we got Engli she was an adult. She was paper and outside trained and she still peed on the blankets on the couch. It was very annoying. What worked for her was the gate was up, I would say Go Pee, and when she did, we went YAY!! and marched over to that gate and took it down, and then played ball. The ball time really was the reward that got her attention. She learned 'go pee' really quick, and it worked like a charm. Gate down and toy time might work for you too.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
it took Mouse until she was 9 months to be fully housetrained. they are very tough to housetrain.