Tropiclean Water Additive/Teeth Cleaning

HilyBee

Hey guys! I've read a little about the Tropiclean Water Additive, but wanted to know if anyone was tried it? For those unfamiliar, it is a solution you add to the water dish for your dogs and cats to help clean their teeth and freshen breath. It is marketed as the "easier" way of cleaning a pets teeth (def easier) and gentle. After reading reviews online, I've gotten mixed thoughts - some love it, some hate it. I'm hesitant to try it out because the reviews said it can cause diarrhea and lethargy. I plan to call my vet and see what they think as well, but thought I would see if anyone has tried it on their dachshund or other pets?

I read the review on Dachshund Nola, and that made me want to check out the product a bit more.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Why feed a chemical that can cause side effects when feeding raw chicken necks/turkey necks/chicken backs/other edible bones work just as well or better?

Edible bones are soft bones that they can eat totally, They DO NOT consist of weight bearing bones, those are too hard and risk broken teeth. Ribs, necks, most fowl, small animals like rabbit, etc. Mouse has never had her teeth brushed, or cleaned, but has had raw bones once or twice a week from 4 months old. Her teeth are as white as a puppy's, except she has 2 broken teeth (one on each side) from Antlers. I will never give my dogs antlers again! Only edible raw bones.

nola

As I said in my review, I really like it.

There's nothing dangerous about it.;) If you're like me and not comfortable giving your dog bones, it's a great way to help.

HilyBee

We are only considering it because our cat needs a way to clean her teeth too. We just wanted to make sure if we put it in their shared water dish it wasn't going to hurt him. :)

Inkeri

I've started brushing Manu's teeth. He eats chewing bones and hard bones, but the back teeth seem to bee quite tricky... :) It was actually quite easy to get him used to brushing.

I don't trust any chemicals either, but I would be very cautious about giving dogs soft bones too. My husband works at a vet's clinic and they have had many cases where they have operated on a dog that has eaten soft bones and the bone-mass is stuck in their bowel.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I've started brushing Manu's teeth. He eats chewing bones and hard bones, but the back teeth seem to bee quite tricky... :) It was actually quite easy to get him used to brushing.

I don't trust any chemicals either, but I would be very cautious about giving dogs soft bones too. My husband works at a vet's clinic and they have had many cases where they have operated on a dog that has eaten soft bones and the bone-mass is stuck in their bowel.
Well, i guess the hundreds of thousands of raw feeders all have it wrong then. We're all going to kill our dogs with bones...

Sorry, that was probably rude, but there are millions of dogs being fed raw, without issue, The only time I hear anything about how dangerous it is, it's usually by people against raw feeding (like some vets, my vet, however, wholely believes in the power of edible bone for dental health...) and it's totally worked for my dogs. My cat is also getting chicken necks and rabbit bones for his dental health.

Inkeri

Well, i guess the hundreds of thousands of raw feeders all have it wrong then. We're all going to kill our dogs with bones...

Sorry, that was probably rude, but there are millions of dogs being fed raw, without issue, The only time I hear anything about how dangerous it is, it's usually by people against raw feeding (like some vets, my vet, however, wholely believes in the power of edible bone for dental health...) and it's totally worked for my dogs. My cat is also getting chicken necks and rabbit bones for his dental health.
Haha! I knew someone was going to say something like this. O'ou. Well, I'm not against or fore anything. Everyone feeds their dogs whatever they choose. I'm just saying even raw food might cause trouble. Sorry.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Funny thing is, I am not a raw feeder. Though I do feed raw now and then. I just don't like when people scare others away from raw feeding, as it's an excellent way to feed (certainly better than 90% of pet foods!)