Spending to much time with puppy?

jake1133

Just wondering if I am spending to much time with my 9 week old puppy. Is that possible?

My fear is having a dog that always needs human interaction all the time. Someone right next to it, petting, playing constantly while it's awake. My aunt has a dog like that and it's really annoying. It can't just go off and play with it's toys and sit down and relax.

Since I work at home a lot, and I'm potty training the puppy, I'm basically always with her. I have to be because of the potty training, but can that much interaction work against you as the dog gets older?

Or does spending this time with her help her develop into a confident dog that can do it's own thing sometimes?

Nell

Hi Jake, your puppy is very young and does need you to spend as much time with her as you can.

I also agree that in order for the puppy to grow up well adjusted and not cause too much anxiety when left in the future it is important to introduce separation fairly early in the puppies training.

If you can, leave the puppy for a very SHORT time to begin with. As you are potty training its best to start by leaving the puppy as soon as you can after you know she has been. That way she will also learn to be clean in your absence.

To start with, find her a comfy place and leave the room without too much fuss.

Return very shortly, just 5 mins later the first time, try not to make to much fuss and act as though its perfectly normal. You can then very slowly increase the time she is left, a little each day. The maximum I now try to leave my puppy is 2 - 2 1/2hours and she is five months. Lets face it, you are going to have to leave the puppy at some point for shopping, visit friends etc and it will be so much easier if she is already used to it.

HilyBee

We left our pup alone while for quick trips (errands and such) and lunch/dinner dates as long as we only planned to be gone for less than an 1.5 hours while potty training. We crate trained him - if you haven't I highly recommend it - so when we did leave he had a "safe" place to be while we were gone. It worked like a charm.

He doesn't have any anxiety issues or need for constant human interaction (he plays with the cat all the time or just alone with his toys when we are busy). We also make sure to play with him several times thorough-out the night/day, take walks, and go outside for potty time. :) Good luck!

jake1133

The concern isn't really about her being left in her crate at times when we leave. My concern is more about when we are in the same room, she seems to need interaction. If we aren't paying attention to her, she will stare at us and whine. We sit on the floor in the kitchen and play with her, and when she is getting tired, she will want to get in a lap and calm down and go to sleep. As she starts falling asleep, I will take her off my lap and she will go in her crate on her own and sleep.

Is any of this problematic, or is it just normal puppy and as she gets older she will be more and more comfy just being around us but not needing us to interact with her all the time?

Or should I start doing something different?

Nell

Sounds to me as though your pup is just missing her litter mates to cuddle up to for warmth and comfort. She probably just feels a bit vulnerable on her own and right now you are her source of comfort and safety. I am sure she will learn to be a bit more independent as she grows but dachshunds are incredibly loyal and a comfy lap will always be more favourable than the crate or a cold bed! lol.

jake1133

Ok, cool. Never had a puppy before and I'm nervous about doing things right and not creating problems.

I'll just enjoy the time.

vizzla

No you cant spend to much time with your puppy. He just separated from his mom and is in an unknowned world with people he doesnt know.

The puppy will start taking steps on its own when its ready. A selfconfident dog start exploring the world on its own when its ready.

Just give it time :)

Good luck