Should my dog get a haircut? Vote

Steph

Take them to a groomer that is well versed in the stripping of wire coats. Shaving a wire haired dog sometimes can wreck the haircoat.

Doxmom

I think a nice trim would make him look even more adorable! And I agree, he's probably feel better, too..:)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I would strip him, not clip him. I hate seeing a wire get clipped, it ruins the coat, (makes them fluffier). I hand strip Oliver, even though he's a mutt and won't ever be shown. I also stripped my sister's westie. The fluffier coat holds the dirt better. Oliver can be head to toe mud, but a quick brush after he's dried, and he's perfectly clean again.

Hand stripping can be a bit time consuming, but it's easy to do yourself. It takes me about 4 hours total to do Oliver, my 35lb dog. and I do it 2-3 times per year.

I would strip him, not clip him. I hate seeing a wire get clipped, it ruins the coat, (makes them fluffier). I hand strip Oliver, even though he's a mutt and won't ever be shown. I also stripped my sister's westie. The fluffier coat holds the dirt better. Oliver can be head to toe mud, but a quick brush after he's dried, and he's perfectly clean again.

Hand stripping can be a bit time consuming, but it's easy to do yourself. It takes me about 4 hours total to do Oliver, my 35lb dog. and I do it 2-3 times per year.
Hmmm .... "easy" and "takes 4 hours"?

Not sure I would ever have the patience or time, even at 2 to 3 times a year. You must be blessed.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
again, oliver is about 4 x the size of a doxie lol. My sister's Westie took only an hour, and she was alot harder and more complicated to strip than any dachshund, and required trimming of the face and feet and tail. She also had to be done every 2 months or so.

I just do the stripping when I'm watching tv (usually hockey :) )