pee pee

dappledoggymommy

Doxiemommy
Hello,
I have aa one and a half year old doxie with a little pee pee problem. She is completely potty trained. She lets us know exactly when she needs to go outside and use the bathroom. EXCEPT when she gets too excited. When someone plays with her she gets so excited that she pees. I know of a lot of small dogs that also do this but I was wondering if there was anything we could do prevent this from happening. Any input would be appreciated! Thank so much!

MatthewLP

Hello,
I have aa one and a half year old doxie with a little pee pee problem. She is completely potty trained. She lets us know exactly when she needs to go outside and use the bathroom. EXCEPT when she gets too excited. When someone plays with her she gets so excited that she pees. I know of a lot of small dogs that also do this but I was wondering if there was anything we could do prevent this from happening. Any input would be appreciated! Thank so much!
I've 11 Doxies though out my life of 40+ years and I can tell you its Hit and miss. Females are more prone to this "Behavior / Habbit" mostly common in youger females "puppies and younger females" up to a year or so. This Happy Pee'ing is not uncommon for some dogs in general more so common in Female Doxies. Totaly submissive urination around other dogs and in wolf packs are not uncommon.

I have learned with Khloe my 11th and current doxie has had the worst time out of all of them I've had and I haven't been able to pinpoint this to a specific cause. Other than she was a Petland puppy and I think traumatic sutuations in social skills being fearful, sacared or being overly played with by to much stimulus cause happy pee'ing.

This is a Social Behavior issue. and most of the time they grow out of it in time as they build 'confidence' and develope good social skills.

What I do with Her (khloe) when guest come over I put her outside first, let her try and relieve first. before I let her back in she is compleatly calm and at ease. At this time I've told everyone to please ignore the dog, no petting, no acknowledgement untill she is calm once again to build confidence, reassurance and Social skills to provent the happy pee'ing this give her the ability to sniff, smell and adapt before Socail Engements. I have almost stopped the happy pee'ing all togeather now. I might get a slight tinkle every now and then and I think she's more shocked than I am.

What I don't recommend is any form of punishment, reprimanding or scalding. This leads to more social problems and encourages submissive pee'ing.

General Rule of Thumb, Prase all good behavior, ignore the bad. Its all about mental training, and 'discipline with a kind hand' that Doxies need.

Hope that helps.

MatthLP
Kansas City, Mo.

Penny

I always teach the command of 'go pee', which is very handy when you want to take them out in the car, or leave home. lol

When she learns 'go pee', you can have her pee, then play with her as a reward. Empty her bladder when people are coming over.