New puppy, nervous owner, tips welcome!

kaysirae

Hi everyone! I am brand new to the forum, and the proud brand new mama of an 8-week old male miniature dachshund named Amos. I got him only three days ago (Saturday morning). It's now Monday evening and tomorrow will be my first day leaving him, as I took today off from work, and I am EXTREMELY nervous and overwhelmed with guilt. I live in an apartment and have a roommate but we both work full-time. Amos will be spending the days in his crate, I leave for work around 6:30 in the morning and I get home around 4. I have arranged for a friend who works evenings to come once a day to let him out, feed him, play with him, etc. He has slept in his crate every night. I initially started him in the guest room but he cried uncontrollably so I moved the crate to my bedroom at night and he goes right to sleep. He gets up and whines a little once or twice a night, I take him out to eliminate and he goes right back to sleep in the crate. He is very attached already and cries a little when I go into another room just for a minute. Tonight I left him outside the crate with my roommate while I ran a 30 minute errand and she said he cried at first then he was fine. He consistently falls asleep for a couple hours after about an hour of playtime, so I'm hoping to play with him and get him tuckered out before I leave in the morning. I am so worried about leaving him in the crate, I worry that he will cry ALL day, but I'm mostly concerned that he will somehow hurt himself trying to escape the crate or something similar. His crate is proportionate to his size, it is a wire crate filled with blankets and a couple toys, but I can't get over the worry that he will hurt himself while he's in there. If anyone has tips or stories that might ease my mind - please share!!! I am one nervous mama!! Thank you!! :)

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK.

6.30 to 4p.m is far too long to leave an eight week old puppy even with someone calling in during the day. The maximum an eight week old puppy should be left is two hours and even then not too often. Sorry if I am sounding a bit harsh but is this really fair on the puppy? he is a baby who needs company, feeding four times a day and regular visits to the loo.

I know many people crate their dogs, but being in a crate all day and at night for a puppy is just cruel. There is no way he will be able to hold his bladder so you are also risking him developing a bad habit of soiling his bed and this will be very hard to break. Please think again, left to his own devices he will be miserable and lonely. Is there anyone who would have him during the day where you could drop him off and collect him on the way home?

Last edited:
I would work at getting more doggie day care coverage. Maybe your vet can suggest something or look up day care and boarding facilities in your neighborhood. Get help from your roommate so you have some hours you can spell each other. Can your drop-in friend do a little more?

So he isn't in the crate day and night how about a larger safe area like kitchen or bathroom with puppy pads in place? He could have special toys, blankets and at least be able to move around a bit. And as Nell said find another dog sitter.

He needs attention and training and can't be expected to sleep so much. It makes me sad to think how my dog started out with a bunch of students who had no time for him. I sense from you post that you are not comfortable with the current situation and worried.

Let us know how it's going.