New mommy here!

LuLusMomma

Get Low.
We just adopted our 6 week old long hair, dappled pup named LuLu this week and if anyone has any special advice I would love to hear it! We have never had a Dachshund before and I am excited for the new experience, she is spoiled rotten already! :p

Penny

Hi there and welcome!
Have you brought her into your home at 6 weeks? The reason I ask is because the ages from 6 to 8 weeks is when littermates learn from each other what bite inhibition is. Hope she is still with the litter for now.
Can't wait to see pics.

HilyBee

Puppies are so fun! :D The first few weeks are the best but also tricky. If you're planning to crate train (highly recommend) then start now. I also recommend taking them to the vet and getting a check-up right away if you haven't already. They usually have a "first few weeks home" puppy packet. I was SO scared with our first little guy. He was so dang small I was afraid I would lose him! lol Set up a potty schedule to help training go over a little bit more smoothly. Dachshunds can take for.ev.er. to potty train fully so be ready for some long haul training. Enjoy your baby and take LOTS of pictures! We love to see!!

LuLusMomma

Get Low.
Thank you so much! :) We have had her about a week and the crate training isn't going too well. We have had puppies that have turned into outdoor dogs and we have never heard yelping an crying like we have heard from her while trying to crate train, it distresses her greatly. We thought maybe she is just simply too young for crate training but maybe she isn't? We weren't sure.

HilyBee

6 weeks old is pretty young to be alone. :/ You might want to consider letting her sleep with a stuffed animal if you want her to sleep in a crate. Our dog sleeps in our bed or in his puppy bed in our bedroom. It's not safe to let them sleep with you that young, just because they are SO tiny. lol Good luck! :D

Doxiemommy

We got our doxie at 9 weeks old. Create training was very difficult at first but we had a friend take her for a week. She still cries but it's not near as bad. She never learned from her litter mates so she is really rough around other animals :/

sherlock

Thank you so much! :) We have had her about a week and the crate training isn't going too well. We have had puppies that have turned into outdoor dogs and we have never heard yelping an crying like we have heard from her while trying to crate train, it distresses her greatly. We thought maybe she is just simply too young for crate training but maybe she isn't? We weren't sure.
We brought Watson home at 5 weeks...very very young. He slept with us in our bed the first night, the one and only time we've allowed that. After that we moved him to his kennel. Two things that can help - a warm water bottle (not hot, obviously) wrapped in a tshirt or something for her to snuggle up with. Also, a loud ticking clock (also wrapped in something soft) can help them relax, apparently it will remind them of their mother/littermate's heartbeats.

For the first several nights, any time he would cry I would get up and take him out to try to potty, and then I would snuggle with him on the couch (usually me laying there half asleep with him on my chest) until he fell asleep again, and then I would move him back to his kennel. It didn't take long until he would only cry if he needed to go out. However, this technique led to me not getting much sleep.

Anyway, my point is that it's not too young to crate-train, it will just take a lot of time and patience and probably some lost sleep.