Long lasting chew treats?

love'laska

Does anyone know of any long-lasting chew treats that are safe for doxies to have? Or does anyone have any recipes to make some?

Thus far, Alaska will only hang out in her crate without whining when given a tasty chew. We're using Authority Teething Rings right now, and this one has lasted a few days, but I'd like to supply her with more options.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well filled frozen kongs are great for keeping them busy. there's also bully sticks and the like. You dont want anything too hard for little puppy teeth. Puzzle toys are great too.

love'laska

Well filled frozen kongs are great for keeping them busy. there's also bully sticks and the like. You dont want anything too hard for little puppy teeth. Puzzle toys are great too.
We've been doing Kongs filled with yogurt and pumpkin, but she doesn't seem to find these as reinforcing.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
You can fill kongs with anything you want. One of my dogs fav is canned food. But I freeze it so it lasts longer

love'laska

I have a peanut butter kong in the freezer now. Mostly she just hates her crate. Her whine is tremendous for her size and it's the only thing about her that positively bothers me.

But we are getting our schedule down nicely. All potties have been outside today, no accidents!!

love'laska

Well, I gave her a pb filled kong (frozen, and it kept her quiet in her crate for five mins until she noticed I had shut the door.) Oh, silly dog..

crystalclear1027

When I have to leave them alone for awhile, I give them busy bones, I get the large ones, and they last awhile, they really like them. You can get them at the grocery store, in the pet isle.

amparra

I've heard horror stories from deer antlers.
There is a risk with any toy. They absolutely love marrow bones which have the same same risk. Our dogs love them and the benefits outweigh the risks.

We didn't buy the antlers for Lily, we actually bought them for the labs but Lily loves them and chews on them pretty often. We don't really have very many "small dog" toys, all our toys are medium/large size because the small toys aren't safe for the labs.