Is oscar underfed?

Oscar

Hello! New to the forums.
This is my new pet Oscar. he's so adorbz! This is my first pet ever.

I feed him 1/4 in the morning and 1/4 at night. But I fear he might be underweight. He's 6 months old. I took him to the vet for a normal check up and they didn't mention him being underweight so I assume nothing is wrong.
But still. I'm worried ;u;

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
you didn't post a pic, so hard to tell, but it depends on the quality of food, his weight and his activity level. I feed my 8lb, almost 9 year old a little less than a third of a cup 2x per day, of a high protein, grain-free food (I feed several different kinds of food, something different every meal, plus extras) and my 9lb 4 year old gets a little more than a third of a cup 2x per day of the same foods. they're both thin and muscular, and play in the house, but don't get much outside walks this time of year. Body condition is the most important way to determine feeding amounts. There's another thread where we were talking about what the ideal body should look like. I'll find it and link it for you

Penny

He looks fine to me. I realize he's turned away from the camera so that might make his ribs show a bit too, but I'm used to doxies looking like that. If you find that the weather is nice and he's playing ball outside and running, you can bump up the food a bit. If you have 3 days of rain and he's not very active, cut back food a bit on those days. Really, it's a 'figure it out' as you go. Keep him looking like that and I have to say, love to see shorter nails too! Good job!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
THERE we go! He looks gorgeous to me too :) mine are often slightly thinner, so he looks great :)

jax's_mommy

he looks fine to me too! he's gorgeous. I always feel mine is pretty skinny too, the ways he move will make him look so skinny I freak because I'm nervous someone will accuse me of neglect lol I guess its a common doxie thing. :)

sherlock

He looks great! That's a problem with doxies in general I think...their chests are so wide it makes their waists look super small, even when they're healthy!

This is a site I used when I first got Dr. Watson, it's pretty helpful. It also has feeding recommendations.

Dachshund Ideal Weight Chart with Illustrations

And it has this helpful illustration:

Oscar

Also another thing. He had a cone on his neck for 10 days. the vet said keep it on for 10 days. I removed it today and i see him going at the wound now. Maybe I should of kept it on, but the vet did say it would be okay to remove it after 10 days

sherlock

If he's still messing with the wound, keep it on! After 10 days most dogs won't mess with the wound, but you don't want him to pull out any stitches until it's time!

schierling

He looks beautiful to me. I feed my boys 1/2 per day also. I do it mostly because my husband loves to "treat" them. But I find no matter what I feed the little dudes, they will eat it, so it is better to save them from themselves. My guys would eat until they explode, left to their own devices.

Oscar

Oscar just crapped, all over the floor, the newspaper, the shirt, the towel.
When I told my sister it was her turn to clean up i got the "he's my dog" answer.

So he's MY dog when he poops everywhere. But when we wanna take him places and hug him, he's OUR dog. :|

Oscar

another thing

This is a recent event.

Oscar never used to do this until we took off his cone.

We keep him in a big playpen all day (well, not all day) His toys are in it, his crate. He has lots of room to play.

But all he does is bark. Now, I would let him out, but i'm not trying to reenforce this dog in thinking "if i bark loud enough i'll get what i want."

I dont know what to do. We dont trust him yet to let him roam the house like I think he wants too.

I bet this sounds really cruel :< But yeah.

Any advice?