Is my puppy longhair, wirehair, or short hair?

PauSharkey

I picked up my puppy 3 weeks ago, and we bought her as a short hair dachshund. Both her parents were short hair, but over the past few weeks I've noticed her hair is growing. She doesn't look like the long hair puppies I've googled, but her hair seems a fair bit longer than the short hair puppies online. I added a paw picture because I read that it can be a good indicator of what it'll end up as. I'd love to get some opinion from fellow dachshund owners, let me know if anyones had a similar experience :)

Attachments

• IMG_7318.png
    IMG_7318.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7355.jpeg
    IMG_7355.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 4
How old is your puppy? From your photos, she looks like a short hair, but I would rather see a stacked photo when she is around 20 weeks old.

I got a Piebald puppy at 9 weeks old that was supposed to be a smooth coat but ended up being a wire hair and not a full wire hair, I always called her my funky wire hair. Her hair didn't start changing until she was about 4 or 5 months old. I used to keep the lady I got her from updated and she noticed she turned into a Wire hair. I was never disappointed about this as she was a sweet friendly Dachshund. Be prepared it may not turn out to have the coat you hoped it would or it could have partial long hair. The first picture is when she was a puppy, second is when she was 4 years old. She has since passed.

Attachments

• Ging9.jpg
    Ging9.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back