Is he dachshund ?

komodeno

Hi,in October we adopted a dachshund - 5 months old.
He is very sweet but very difficult to train,especially housebreaking.
Recently one of our neighbor told me that he is not a dachshund.It is true that the mother is shored hairs and the father is longhaired but we don't think he is mixed.Can you please see his pictures and tell me what do you think.Is he really mix(or also mixed is consider the long & short haired combination.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360083601.551184.jpg
Baby Kenzo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360083864.408311.jpg
Sleeping Kenzo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360083927.344349.jpg
Thank you

Attachments

komodeno

Thx,he acts like one for sure.We are facing some issues with chewing stuff thy he should not touch.Our girl Shih Tzu,Gucci is very nice.She have never touched anything but this little monster have eaten 3-4 earphones,Nokia mobile (cheep one but...) slippers and chargers.I don't really know how to stop him.He also like to chew on Gucci's collar.He already damage 2.

jax's_mommy

My boy has chewed 2 headphones, 3 phone charger ($18 to replace each -_- )tons of paper, socks, slippers and tons of plastic stuff lol
Having a hard time getting him to stop as well.

And your welcome :)

Penny

What exactly made your neighbor say he wasn't?

A photo of his side view like this would help...

Maybe where you live, the dachshund kennel club does not allow the mixing of long hair with short hair. It's like that in Canada too. However, in the US they do breed crossing coats and they are still considered pure bred.

jax's_mommy

Maybe where you live, the dachshund kennel club does not allow the mixing of long hair with short hair. It's like that in Canada too. However, in the US they do breed crossing coats and they are still considered pure bred.
^^ Yup, Jax is a mix between a wired hair dachshund and a smooth coat dachshund. He is considered pure bred. Although Jax is odd looking with the long legs lol

I also forgot to mention with the chewing.. I use a spray bottle on him lol It works for the cats, so I decided to try on him to. It works for the most part, other times he will just sit there continuing doing that naughty thing lol

komodeno

The neighbor think that he is to strong and well build to be pure (but he is not a mini hrs should not be too small).Also his coat color is light not dark brown.
I never had a Doxi,and have no knowledge how he should look like and what are the difference in colore.
See some mor pictures.
Kenzo waiting to get some food from my daughter's breakfast ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360155575.268492.jpg
Dogs attack
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360155646.928282.jpg
That's mine... :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360155697.246057.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360155960.648638.jpg
Kenzo is about 8 months old in this photos.

Penny

He's the same color as my Beau. That's called red, and reds vary quite a bit, some with lots of black shading, some with none at all...

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yeah, he sure is a doxie! And adorable at that! I have a registered doxie that has the wrong shape head, wrong ears, a wayyyy too soft coat, and is too short in body length. Just because he may not be show quality, doesn't mean he isn't a Dachshund, though here (Canada) he wouldn't be considered truly purebred as he is a mix between long and short coat :)

Oh and because my Dachshunds are mostly white, I've had people tell me (even long time breeders) that they aren't purebred LOL. they must be crossed with a JRT!

Steph

Oh and because my Dachshunds are mostly white, I've had people tell me (even long time breeders) that they aren't purebred LOL. they must be crossed with a JRT!
We had a red piebald at work a few months back and everyone tried to tell me that he was a basset hound crossed with a doxie because doxies don't come in "that" colour. Lol, were they ever shocked when I pulled up a pic of my friend's red pie on my phone.

Doxmom

Komodeno,

Your daughter is adorable! I can add my doxie, Bree, to the Chewing Club. He's destroyed shoes, clothing (that now have little holes like Swiss cheese), and most recently, the ear piece to my iPhone. Somehow, when I look at that sweet face, all is forgiven. Bree's got me under his dachshund spell! :eek: