how to tell a good breeder

smkymntin

i dont know if this is the right section to post this, i am thinking about getting a puppy from clover patch doxies the next litter, how can i tell if these guys are good breeders or not? i dont know anything really about breeders, we got my two dogs i had growing up from the farmers market. but i want a dachshund puppy from a breeder. and then later when he or she gets older, i plan on rescuing one from a shelter. any tips or questions i should ask? anyone ever dealt with these guys?Miniture Dachshund Breeder In Tennessee

vizzla

Its hard to tell but in Sweden, our swedisch kennel club has some guidelince and roulse for selling puppies. So for selling puppies in Sweden they have to be:
- vet checkt with a certificant no older than 1 week when you pick up the puppie.
- puppies has to be vaccinated and dewormed.
- the bitch and sir has to be checked for breed specific diseases, in sweden they have to be checkedfor PRA (eye condition)

talk to people that has bought a puppie from them before you. What did they think?
I want the breeder to want to meet me before the delivery. What are my plans with the dog? Do I know the breed? Do I have the time for a dog?

Good luck!

amparra

A reputable breeder is one that is breeding to better the breed. They are active in the breed and work to put titles on their dog by competing in an appropriate venue (i.e. conformation, field trials, obedience, etc).

They do all the appropriate health clearances on both the sire and dam and do not breed dogs that are too young to be bred. A clearance is not just a standard health check, it is health testing for hereditary diseases that plague the breed. OFA and CERF clearances can be verified online. Always ask about clearances, a reputable breeder will not hesitate to show the clearances to you.

Here are some red flags to look for when researching breeders:
- No titles on either of the parents of the your dog. Titles past the 2nd generation and way back in the pedigree are nice but essentially irrelevant. You want the parents of your dog to have proved itself a good example of the breed and worthy of being bred. This is the whole point of competing in conformation, etc.
- No health clearances or parents too young to have passed clearances
- Both parents on site. Lets call this a red-orange flag. Reason being is that rarely is the best mating match between two dogs that the breeder owns. Ask the breeder why she picked the sire she did.
- Multiple litters on the ground, multiple litters per year, or a dam bred every heat cycle. A reputable breeder is looking to better the breed, not to profit on its dog's reproductive system. Believe it or not breeding, no matter what breed, is VERY EXPENSIVE when done right. A reputable breeder is most likely in the negative even though she is selling you a puppy at $1000+
- Breeders that will sell you dog on full registration. (i.e. full breeding rights) With rare exception, a breeder that has put in the hard work to breed correctly, is not going to let you breed their pup's willy nilly.
-Breeders that advertise "rare" colors or sizes. Familiarize yourself with the dachshund standard!
- A breeder that sells a dog before 8 weeks of age. It is illegal in most states to sell a dog younger than 8 weeks.

ETA: I checked out that site and I would pass on that breeder.

Last edited:

HilyBee

The first breeder I dealt with was terrible... and I didn't know until I had already adopted a gorgeous little male doxie. She bred for the profits and wasn't very careful. She liked to breed with another breeder's sires, but typically used her own sires. The litter I got a puppy from she wasn't even 100% sure who the sire was until a DNA test was done (we weren't informed of that lovely tidbit until after we picked up our puppy). She had a HUGE farm next to another doxie breeder who looked to be a puppy mill. There were plenty of red flags but we didnt know any better. Our little guy ended up having a very serious genetic disease called IMT. He died in Feb. 2013 from it, and wasn't even four years old yet.

The second breeder we dealt with (for our current puppy) was much much more trustworthy. I did exactly as Amparra said to do (all of the steps) and it has been a beautiful match. She even asked me to email pics of him as he grows up! We have become friends with the breeder and can tell she is just so much better. She only breeds to better the dachshund name and only has dams or sire with titles. She even gave me a list of over 50 people to contact from the last few years that have gotten a dog from her. I called 6 from varying years and they all had great things to say about their babies.

Definitely do your research on a breeder. Make sure you get a detailed list of the vaccines the pups received, a phone number for the vet the breeder uses (call them!), food they were on and references for the breeder. I've even gone as far as asking for a full medical check and having the vet contact me with the results (scared of having the same thing happen as before) before I put down a payment.

Inkeri

Good breeders also want to know what kind of home you have to offer. They don't sell puppies to anybody. :)

And, as Hilybee said, they want to know how the puppies are doing in their new homes. For example, my dog's breeder even has a facebook group for her and "her" puppy-owners where we can share photos and stories. :)

We didn't know anybetter when we got PD. We answered an ad in the newspaper. The person selling PD said she showed dogs and was selling the dachshunds as a favor to a friend in Dallas (about 7 hours north of us).

We met her behind a tobacco store. She had PD and two other pups. Another buyer was there at the same time, and go first choice. We picked PD because he was the only male left. She told us he was 6 weeks old, and we didn't realize that was too young. After we got home, we realized he was really only 5 weeks old when we got him, and was probably younger than that when he was taken away from his mom!

PD is supposed to stand for "Paul's Dog", but sometimes we think it stands for Personality Disorder, since he is a bit neurotic. We brought Henry home a few months later when we realized PD didn't know how to be a dog.

sbarne3

This is a quote from a Miniature Schnauzer breeder's website, but the information applies to all breeds and I think it is very helpful
Here's the link... Puppy News | Champion Miniature Schnauzer | Mini Schnauzer Breeders | Texas
And here's the quote...

Selecting your next puppy and your next breeder:

Shopping for a puppy is a very happy time & a big job. Of course we want you to go cautiously but in the process be open minded and most of all have fun and I tell everyone to always listen to your heart.

Weeding through various breeders. What’s good & what’s bad. A few pointers….

1) Again, as I always say, listen to your intuition.

2) Consider if the person shows

3) Visit them in person if at all possible. If they are not local to you, ask for references.

4) Take your time on the phone getting a feel for one another. If the breeder doesn’t have time to talk, ask when is a better time for them. They should by all means be willing to assist you in the huge task of finding the right dog & breeder for you. This is a family member and a good breeder not only understands that but expects their puppy to be placed only in a family with the same view.

5) Again, using discernment should give you a sense of the ethics of this breeder but if not, go visit them in person. Please don’t ask questions such as “Are you a puppy mill” over the phone! LOL If they are, I can assure you they are not going to admit it and if they are not, asking that is actually quit insulting even though that was not your intention. There are ways to ask pertinent questions & be considerate at the same time. We really shouldn’t treat each other as guilty until proven innocent. It’s ok if you have suspicions or just want to be cautious, you just don’t have to verbalize every thought during an initial evaluation. Keep in mind a quality breeder is just as concerned about you and how you will care for their puppy as you are about the breeder of where the puppy comes from. AND on that note, a breeder should not make you feel pressured to buy. If you are feeling that way, find another breeder! Again, if at all possible, you should always visit them in person. Even if they don’t have puppies, you can meet their adult dogs which will give you an excellent understanding of how they care for their dogs and interact with their dogs.

6) Be a cautious shopper! Don’t shop at pet stores or flea markets. Consider a “professional” rather than the person that owns one dog and used a friends male for stud. One that pours their life into their dogs has more than likely planned with a great deal of their time and money by researching their bloodlines, done medical testing and knows about this breed from behavior to medical issues and yes, all breeds (even mutts) will have things they are prone too. Mother nature isn’t perfect but when we are selectively breeding, we hope to dramatically minimize those issue.

7) When visiting in person, notice the overall care of the dog. Is their coat and eyes healthy, are they clean, are they friendly, are they groomed/maintained. If you are viewing puppies, are they playful, energetic active, alert, social with all that are around them, do they respond positively to sound and touch, are they clean, filled out or thin……. just for starters

8) Notice when a puppy gravitates to you! Sometimes letting a puppy pick you can be a match made in heaven but also listen to the advise of the breeder. The breeder has lived with this litter and knows each ones personality and can be a huge asset in assisting you to pick the right match for your family.

9) Are you scared you will end up buying from a Puppy Mill?? First, research what a puppy mill is. Once you have done that, trust me, you will know one when you see one! Consider this, every time someone buys a puppy from a puppy mill, they keep that person in business! The best way to run them out of business is if they loose all their business.

10) Ask the breeder what the puppy comes with and what has been done prior to your acquiring the pup and what needs to be done after you get the puppy. A particular breeder will be very stringent on the vaccine schedule and should point you in the right direction of how to continue in that area to be sure the puppy receives the correct vaccination protocol for protection. They should also be particular in encouraging proper diet and have great advice for you in that area as well as puppy training. A good breeder would not send you out “on your own” so to speak. It should be very important to them the puppy gets off to the right start so a hands on breeder will be willing to guide you in all these areas.

11) If a puppy comes with a minimal to no health guarantee …. RUN!! Consider the health guarantee offered and be sure its in writing, not verbal!

12) Consider the age and over all condition of the breeders older dogs. If they have one or two older dogs that are in good to great shape, you can bet they take care of their dogs. If these dogs are related to your puppy, even better!

13) TAKE YOUR TIME! Wanting a puppy “yesterday” may not be the smartest way to move forward in selecting a long time family member. Keep in mind that getting a pup from some of the better breeders may require getting on a waiting list. Some may not have puppies very often and most of those could end up in show homes while others may have a few more options throughout the year but you can bet theirs will get spoken for quickly.

14) Be considerate of your appointment time when visiting the home of a breeder. You have been welcomed into their HOME, not a public store front. Which means they have things going on the same as you……. children, family or school activities, meals, errands etc. I once had someone show up 3 hours early. That’s wasn’t fun jumping out of the shower to answer the door! Not to mention this person drove 4 hours to get to my house. What if I had not been home? I consider 30 minutes (+/-) the norm as traffic can be unpredictable.

15) You may find that a spay/neuter contract to be standard with quality breeders. Some breeders will breed anything that is cute or convenient. It’s our responsibility to not only protect the purity of our lines but to protect our puppies from falling into the wrong hands. Some people feel that if they are paying for a dog they should be able to do whatever they want with it. Let me first say that is not the mindset we intent to place our puppies with. The well being of the puppy & the integrity of the breed are of the highest of priorities of any responsible breeder! Also, truth is that the majority of the dogs & pups found in shelters are products of pet owners that had not yet spayed or neutered and ended up with an accidental litter they could not find homes for. Read more about spay/neuter contracts the how and why on the Q & A page.

16) Don’t feel embarrassed to ask for references! I don’t know of one reputable breeder that would mind!

17) If you feel indecisive, sleep on it or consider the saying “when in doubt leave it out”. Sometimes the doubt comes in because one was not really ready for the responsibility of a puppy in the first place. It’s better to back away than to get a puppy and then have regrets. Not only will you suffer but the puppy will certainly suffer along with you if they were not truly wanted!

Most of the time people ”just know” its the right puppy, or the right litter and or the right breeder. If you are having a hard time choosing between two great pups, let the pups speak to you.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I certainly wouldn't go with that breeder. they specify colour, they mix short and longhair and they let people put deposits on colour alone. all in big bold letters. took me two seconds to say, no way no how! I didn't even bother scrolling through the rest of the site.

Inkeri

I certainly wouldn't go with that breeder. they specify colour, they mix short and longhair and they let people put deposits on colour alone. all in big bold letters. took me two seconds to say, no way no how! I didn't even bother scrolling through the rest of the site.
Yep. I wouldn't either. They have even created a coat type of their own; "half coat". Lol.

sbarne3

I'm sure I am showing my ignorance here, but what is the problem with mixing short and longhair? The color thing I understand, but can you educate me on the problems with mixing the coat types?

thanks,
Steven

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well, it's not accepted here in the CKC, though I do believe the AKC does accept it now, but rarely does a respectable breeder mix the two coats, as it can cause issues with "proper" coats.

Steph

Well, it's not accepted here in the CKC, though I do believe the AKC does accept it now, but rarely does a respectable breeder mix the two coats, as it can cause issues with "proper" coats.
Yes, AKC does accept it :confused:

Someone mentioned a "half coat" or a medium length coat, that's caused by breeding smooth to long hair coats. Undesireable in the standards, though I'm seeing a lot of people asking for the half coats because they don't want all the hassle of caring for a true long hair :eek:

I've also seen the half coat happen with long hair dilutes (blue & isabella) where the coat becomes shortened due to the lack of strength in the dilute colours, but that is another issue entirely ;)

Then there is the "Silky" where it is caused by breeding longs to wires. There is a variety of silky in wires, but it's not the same as the long/ wire breeding. Highly undesirable according to the standards.

Some breeders do cross wire with smooth, not too often does it occur but the main purpose for that is to add harshness to the wire coat if needed.