How to stop the biting/nipping!

lisaboo

My doxie Piper just tuned 3 months on the 23rd and the nipping is driving my husband and I nuts! We have tried tons of things from online nothing works. We have tried leaving the room when she bites, we have tried being overly dramatic when she hurts us so she gets we are in pain. We have tried spraying a water bottle at her when she bites. She doesn't seem to be getting it and these puppy teeth hurt!

Please help any suggestions are very welcome.

Last edited:

Peanut

May I ask what age she was taken from her mother? That could be problematic. People these days don't truly care, and when they breed, they want to get them into homes ASAP. The mom needs the last couple weeks to teach them about things, ESPECIALLY bite inhibition.

Only thing I can think that worked with my pups are; when they bite, pull away from them, give them a very stern "NO", and redirect them with a toy. NEVER NEVER NEVER play with them with your hand. It shows that your hand is a toy.

lisaboo

She wasn't taken from her mom or litter mates until she was almost 9 weeks old. We got her from a great lady... she had time with her litter but it doesn't seems to matter. She still bites and it's driving me crazy!

She has toys and bones and all kinds of things to chew on. But she is still attacking our hands. And it's not aggressive or anything it's clearly playful but I want it to stop now before she gets much older.

Nell

Hi lisa, try a high pitch yelp every time she bites. This is what her litter mates would do if she nipped too hard. Her mum would give a good snap so you could also try a good deep "No" like a growl while firmly moving her away from you. Hope this helps.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
You need to be very consistent. Never play with your hands and always remove your attention every time she does it. It takes time with some dogs. You just need to keep at it.

vizzla

Her teath can be itching. Always have bones for her to chew on.

How do you activate her daily? Mental stimulation is necessary for a doxie to be a calm dog. Get her a task to do, bloodtracking a few times a week and onbediencetraining, agility or tricktraining is perfect ways of giving them mental stimulation. On a puppy you do it very easy and a few minutes at a time.

Stop with whatever you where doing when she bites. Just sit still and ignore her. You only play/give her atention when she is not biting. Be patient. It takes time but she will get it.

good luck!