How much to feed a mini (or 2)

sevangelho

We have 2 mini doxies and we're having trouble getting them to eat reliably. They're getting close to 6 months old, but our vet recommended only feeding them twice a day after they picked at their lunch and dinner. They devour breakfast and like their food as treats.

We currently feed the Wellness Super5 puppy, but slowly moving them over to Wellness Core (grain free).

One is eating/gaining weight just fine. He has a bit of a pudge, so we're watching him. He's finally figured out food comes from the kitchen, so he's always at my feet when I'm in there.

The other looks health, is a bigger pup, but doesn't seem to eat as much. Did we just luck out and get a dog that regulates himself? He is a pretty boy, so perhaps he's worried about his figure.

How much did/do you feed your mini doxie at this age? We've got them at 3/4 cup a day, though they don't always eat that full amount.

sherlock

Hmm...I don't remember what we gave Watson when he was that size, but he's a year old now and he gets about a cup a day (we feed him Nutrish. Not ideal, I know.) He gets two 1/4 cup scoops at breakfast and dinner. He always gobbles it all up right then, and we don't free-feed just because doxies are notorious for becoming overweight (and I think that when it comes to dogs, nothing is uglier than a fat dog.) He also gets some scraps here and there a maybe a treat or two.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Mouse is 4 years old and 9lbs. She gets 2/3 of a cup per day, Boo is 8lbs and 9 years old, he gets about 1/2 a cup per day. This is not set in stone, as I watch them closely, and if they seem to be gaining or losing, they get more or less. When Mouse is in heat, she gets up to a cup a day!

nola

Nola is 2 years old, 8lbs and currently gets 1 cup of home cooked food a day, as she's been underweight and is just now at her ideal. She also gets a Kong full of yogurt and pumpkin everyday.

amparra

I feed a quarter cup 2x a day with a little bit of warm water on it. Lily went through a phase where she ate a few bites and left the rest for later but I do not allow free feeding so I set a timer and after 15 mins the food goes away till the next meal. Didn't take long for her to get on schedule.

ETA: Lily is nine months old and 7.5lbs

Hayleysmom

hmmm interesting am I feeding hayley too much? She eats kirkland signature puppy food, she gets 1/4 cup 3 x's a day, she is 13 weeks old. She eats every bowl and still acts like she's hungry, but I figured that's a puppy thing.

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
hmmm interesting am I feeding hayley too much? She eats kirkland signature puppy food, she gets 1/4 cup 3 x's a day, she is 13 weeks old. She eats every bowl and still acts like she's hungry, but I figured that's a puppy thing.
puppies need more than adults. When Mouse was a baby (she was 5 months old when I adopted her) she was getting a full cup of food a day, and then some. Kirkland isn't very high in meat content (though it's better than alot of foods) so she probably needs more of that food than the foods I feed anyway.

Hayleysmom

puppies need more than adults. When Mouse was a baby (she was 5 months old when I adopted her) she was getting a full cup of food a day, and then some. Kirkland isn't very high in meat content (though it's better than alot of foods) so she probably needs more of that food than the foods I feed anyway.

Yea I did my research on kirklands, my German Shepherd eats grain free natures domain, but they don't make a puppy food. So I went for kirklands, its still a 4 star dog food and has great ratings. So I should be feeding a cup a day then? I guess I will up her morning feedings. I think once she is 6 months I'll switch her over to natures domain or should I keep her on a puppy food till she is 1? Oh I also give her fish oil, but I was thinking of just getting coconut oil and adding it to her food.

Kirkland Dog Food | Review and Rating

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yea I did my research on kirklands, my German Shepherd eats grain free natures domain, but they don't make a puppy food. So I went for kirklands, its still a 4 star dog food and has great ratings. So I should be feeding a cup a day then? I guess I will up her morning feedings.

Kirkland Dog Food | Review and Rating
ya, I'd up her food a bit. Mouse is a small mini, and I had a heck of a time keeping weight on her (her poor little belly would be so full after each feeding LOL) But I only fed 2x per day, and 1/2 a cup is alot for a tiny belly! I switched to 3x per day for awhile and she did alot better.

Hayleysmom

ya, I'd up her food a bit. Mouse is a small mini, and I had a heck of a time keeping weight on her (her poor little belly would be so full after each feeding LOL) But I only fed 2x per day, and 1/2 a cup is alot for a tiny belly! I switched to 3x per day for awhile and she did alot better.
Okay, yea her tummy fattens up too, after eating lol :D she was at the vets today and weighs 3 lbs even at 13 weeks (she'll be 14 weeks tomorrow), so I guess a 1 cup a day! thanks! :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Just watch her closely. If her poo becomes soft, than she's getting too much food, and obviously watch her weight too :)