Home cooking

donnam

For those that home cook for puppies please share your recipes. Dallas is 3 1/2 months old. TIA

Oh and how often do you give eggs? Raw or cooked?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
If you are cooking the meat, make sure you feed supplements. Alot of the "stuff" dogs need are denatured by cooking

amparra

If you aren't experienced with home cooking, then you should do your research now and wait until your dog is full grown to start home cooking. Homecooking does require adding in supplements to make sure that your dog is getting the right nutrients in the right amounts. This is not something you want to mess with in a puppy that is growing. Getting the balance right is a lot more forgiving in an adult dog.

Check out Dr. Pitcairn’s Guide to Natural Health and Healing. Its a good place to start for home cooking.

Nell

A Canadian friend has just given me this recipe for making treats!

Spot's Golden Cheese Dreams

A nice elastic dough which makes a golden-flecked, chewy treat. Makes about 60 (using small K-9 Cutter)

3 cups (750ml) whole wheat flour
2 tsps. (10ml) garlic powder
1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
1 cup (250ml) shredded cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 cup (250ml) milk

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and garlic powder.
2. Make a well in the flour mixture and gradually stir in vegetable oil, cheese. beaten egg and milk until well blended
3. Knead dough on a floured surface, about 3-4 minutes
4. With a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/2" thickness
5. Cut with K-9 Biscuit Cutter and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
6. Bake 25 mins. at 400F (200C)
7. Cool on a rack and store at room temperature, in a container with a loose fitting lid.

My friend also added:

The SPCA says dogs shouldn't have garlic so instead I add one veg cube. I also add 1/2 cup of frozen veg or 1/2 cup of shredded carrots. I use W.W flour or spelt flour. I put everything in a blender except flour then pour over the flour which is in a large bowl., continue from 3 as I don't bake them super hard, I only keep a small amount at room temperature and the rest frozen.

Connie loves them!!!