Help training!

Doxiemommy

Hi! I have a 3 month old named macy. I am having the hardest time training her. She will not let me Know when She has to potty. Sometimes she will sniff around and I know to take her out other times she just goes (couch, bed) she also will not use puppy pads she eats them :confused: Please if any one knows anything I can do please help. she goes out every 4-5 hours which is Perfect for her otherwise she won't go at all also she will our on her blankets in her kennel and then sleeps in them :( I'm very new to this never had a doxie let alone a dog

Nell

Training

Hi, training takes time and is a full time job! lol! You need to get on this fast as the longer she is unclean the harder it will be to correct. I would suggest you take her out every 20mins to start with, as soon as she pees pick her up make a big fuss and bring her in, that way she will learn why she has been taken out. She may not go every time to begin with but try to be patient if you take her out and say in encouraging voice "go wee" each time she will learn to go when you ask, my six month goes on command!. If she doesn't go after ten minutes just bring her in and go out again in another ten minutes. If she does wee then leave it first for 20 min and slowly stretch it to every two hours. Now as for the items she has weed on these need to be got rid of or boil washed, even if you cant smell it she can and she will continue to pee where she has before. If she does go in doors make it plain you are not happy, please don't hit her - she is a baby, I use "growling" voice - "BAD GIRL YUK!" puppies naturally want to please, remember lots of fuss when she goes outdoors she will soon get the hang of it. This will all mean you are going to be fairly tied over a couple of days and following her like a hawk! but trust me it is so worth it in the long run and she will soon cotton on, consistency is the trick! Good luck.

Last edited:

Doxiemommy

she doesnt have alot of accidents. and I praise her for pottying outside. I think she's starting to learn because when I get up and say let's go outside she sometimes gOod to the door. everything I do is never different. thank you

sherlock

This is normal at her age. Doxies are hard to potty train, and even once you think she's got it she might still backslide. Watson wasn't fully, completely trained until he was about a year old, and even then he wouldn't always let me know that he needed to go out, I just knew it was probably time. He also got into the habit of going in his kennel (sometimes overnight, or if we were gone for too long) and he will occasionally still do this.

Consistency is your friend. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, so now it just takes patience (which is SO not easy when it comes to something like your dog pottying on the carpet!) Good luck, and don't worry, she'll get it :)

Doxiemommy

about what age do they start sleeping through the night without having to potty? this is my biggest issue seeing how I always have to take her out at like 3 am or she peees on her blanket then sleeps on it:(

jax's_mommy

For sleeping through the night, put her food up 3 hours before you go to bed. It'll make it so there is nothing in her system to make her need to go.
That's what I did with Jax when he was about 6 weeks. He has slept through the night since. As for letting me know he needs out, he still doesn't do that and he is 11 months. I just continue to take him out between 2-4 hours, unless I'm not home, Then I cross my fingers. lol

Doxiemommy

She doesn't get anything past 8. We take her out 30 min after then again at 10. She still pees on her blanket around 4 am :/

jax's_mommy

Are you going to bed at 10? Try putting things up at 7, that will make it 3 hours. It could help. Also, before you take her out the last time for the night, get her to really play, wear her little tail out. That will help her sleep :) We still do that for Jax lol

Our sleep schedule varies, but we usually try and go to bed by 10 at the latest and we get up at 5. I usually put it up by 7 if I know we are going to bed at 10. By the time he was 5-6 months, I didn't have to put it up anymore.

Doxiemommy

yea we try to be in bed at 10. ill start feeding her dinner earlier. thank you! any advice for her peing on her blanket:(

jax's_mommy

Your welcome!
Aside from removing the blanket, I'm not sure.
You could try taking it out and see how she does. Jax used to sleep with a blanket or something in his crate, but he would just push it aside and sleep on the bottom. It's worth a try.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Honestly, I'd be surprised if a 3 month old Doxie DID ask out! Mouse wasn't fully housetrained until about 9 months old... drove me nuts! And Boo still isnt fully, though that has alot to do with him not being housetrained at all until I got him at 6.5 YEARS old!