Help, please! Going crazy with Crate Training!!

luvmydoxie

I have an 8wk old mini. We got him at 7wks. Save your breath about how he was too young to be let go...... We didn't have a choice in the matter.

He has been doing really well with everything else. Potty training is going well. He has gone outside more than he has gone inside. He has been sleeping in a fabric, travel crate (we are getting a plastic one this evening for him because he is trying to tear this one to shreds). When he falls asleep in the day time, I pick him up and place him in the crate. He sleeps there for a little bit and then get's up and goes to a different location to sleep. At night, he sleeps in his crate by our bed. Usually he falls asleep within 10 minutes. He wakes up to go "potty outside" every 3 to 4 hours. He cries and wakes us up to go. Now, here is my dilemma:

Last night was pure hell!!! Of course it was my turn on night duty and he acts up! We all went to sleep at 11:20pm. He whined and cried for 30 minutes and fell asleep. He then woke up every 45 minutes whining! I know he didn't have to go to the bathroom. He would cry for 30-35 minutes, go to sleep and then 45 minutes later...the same thing. I literally got 4 hours of sleep. I used to put my hands in there to let him know we are there but stopped doing that out of fear he will get too used to it. He sleeps with my t-shirt and a blanket that has his mother's scent on it. Inside the crate are a couple of chew toys. He has never had an accident in his crate, so that is a blessing. We go potty a couple of times overnight and we put him directly back in the crate.

Can I put him in another room to let him sleep or is he too young? If we can, I do plan on setting an alarm to let him out.

I cannot take the whining and crying. He not only does it at night, but the majority of the time he is awake too.

I know they say to let him cry and whine and ignore him. Are we doing a bad thing by letting him cry at the three hour mark to go outside? Should we set an alarm for before that time and take him out and just ignore the crying?!?!?!

Please help.

Last edited:

sherlock

We brought Watson home when he was only 5 weeks old. He started sleeping in the other room on his second or third night home. I would sit with him until he fell asleep, and then when he would cry I would get up and take him outside, and then sit with him again until he went back to sleep. If he started crying again and I knew he didn't need to go out, I would just let him cry it out (much to the dismay of my SO.) It didn't take long for him to stop at all! Pretty soon he would only cry when he needed to potty.

squish13

I would suggest the other room so you can get some sleep... I know lots of people suggest the calming and being in the same room, but doxies have so much separation anxiety as it is, it's probably good to start them younger.

My doxie could "hold" it 8hrs at 11 weeks, so if you set your alarm for the 4hr mark, just take him out then... The whining is purely for attention at this point. Mine still whines when I leave and she's not even crated.

From experience, if you don't get the sleep you'll get really frustrated and have an even harder time training because you'll just get mad and confuse him at the wrong times.

luvmydoxie

I would suggest the other room so you can get some sleep... I know lots of people suggest the calming and being in the same room, but doxies have so much separation anxiety as it is, it's probably good to start them younger.

My doxie could "hold" it 8hrs at 11 weeks, so if you set your alarm for the 4hr mark, just take him out then... The whining is purely for attention at this point. Mine still whines when I leave and she's not even crated.

From experience, if you don't get the sleep you'll get really frustrated and have an even harder time training because you'll just get mad and confuse him at the wrong times.
Oh, the lack of sleep is no joke! You are absolutely right about getting frustrated and such! Thank you for the wonderful advice!! We bought a new crate for him to sleep in. I also attached a ticking clock to the side. He slept for a full 6 hours before stirring to get up to go pee!! I actually woke up thinking something was wrong with him because he was so quiet!!

luvmydoxie

We brought Watson home when he was only 5 weeks old. He started sleeping in the other room on his second or third night home. I would sit with him until he fell asleep, and then when he would cry I would get up and take him outside, and then sit with him again until he went back to sleep. If he started crying again and I knew he didn't need to go out, I would just let him cry it out (much to the dismay of my SO.) It didn't take long for him to stop at all! Pretty soon he would only cry when he needed to potty.
When you set your alarm for her to go to the bathroom, if she was asleep, did you wake her up to take her out?