Help, hyperactive pupppy

loxleynew

Hey all! new member here.

So we adopted Maddie almost 2 weeks ago and she is almost 10 weeks old now. We have been paper training her with a crate open since she cannot go outside yet (shots are not finished yet). Anyways she seems to do fine at night sleeping but when we take her out to play with her 2-3 times a day she goes HYPER. I'm not just talking "want to play" for 30 minutes but she will keep up the running around the house chewing on everything (including us) for hours. If it makes a difference we play with her downstairs and her crate is always upstairs in the bathroom. She doesn't have a "bed" downstairs when we play with her.

We have like 6 chew toys for her to play with but she always goes to chew our feet or clothes. Also she never seems to get tired regardless if we play with her for 2 hours non stop.

So my main questions are...
How long of a playtime do puppy mini dachshunds require?
How do you know when they are getting tired and ready for a nap?
How to stop them from chewing on your feet?

Thanks for the help! And below is a picture of her! :)

sherlock

What a pretty girl!

We brought Dr. Watson home at 5 weeks and had the same problem. He was NONSTOP all the time, until he was probably at least 9 months old. He wouldn't ever just sit and chill with us, he was very busy doing what we called puppy things (as in, "No Mom I can't just sit with you, I have puppy things to do.")

For us, after a couple of hours of him doing puppy things, we would put him in his crate because that's the only way would could get him to rest. Otherwise he wouldn't even show signs of being tired. (But we also have his crate in the living room (we're in an apt.)) I would maybe try bringing her crate downstairs with you while yall are downstairs, after work or whenever.

As for the feet...omg same problem. Watson loved toes. Since she's probably teething, get a Kong and put peanut butter (or another filler) in it to maybe get her to like it more. And when she goes for the toes, pull your foot back and give her a big strong No!

Hope this has maybe helped a little, lol. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK.

QMG your pup is beautiful! All pups enjoy exploring their world, sounds like she is having loads of fun! some are naturally more energetic than others, when she is in her crate how long is she left?

Once you can take her out to expel some of the energy that will help a lot, in the meantime she needs things to do, the kong is a good idea, you can also hide treats around to make her work for them rather than just be hand fed. Teach her a few simple tricks. Anything to occupy her will be good as it will use up mental as well as physical energy.

As for the feet thing, lol my pup gets VERY excited when I put a pair of socks on, socks to her are the BEST thing in the world! if your pup is nipping at your feet that needs to be discouraged so have something to hand to distract her as soon as she starts. Lots of toys with different textures will also help with the chewing / boredom thing.

Sounds like she is an adorable bundle of fun who is very inquisitive and probably going to be very intelligent so keep her busy as a bored pup can be a naughty pup. Good luck and enjoy!