Hello!

sevangelho

Brand new to the forum. We got a pair of puppies about a month ago.

Fenix is a short black and tan and Ares is the long black fringed red. We have some pictures and movies uploaded to a shareable dropbox if you want to see them. Here is the link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7kaii5o6vabais6/IM5fh163zO

Hoping to get some good advice on raising these two boys at once. Every time I search for "raising two puppies at once" I get horror stories!

Penny

Hi and Welcome!! What handsome boys you have!
Ares is called 'red'. Red has a lot of variation to it, yours is a shaded red. Very pretty.

I've never actually had a puppy but I have heard people say that you should separate them to have one on one time and train.

Have you had dachshunds before?

vizzla

Just give them obedience traing separatley and you will be fine :) it may take longer but just keep going and they will be perfect little dogs :)

Our friends have to doxis and they are so cute togheter.

MatthewLP

I agree,

They need Focused attention and both of them would be a constant distraction, not only for them but you as well.

I've had to separate mine as well for training. Because they truly thought their names where "Stoppit and Don't" <laughing to myself>

Matthew Plummer
{Kansas City, Mo}

Last edited:

mariethebee

Hello and welcome to the forum.
You boys are beautiful :)
Love the pics and looking forward to more.

Last edited:

Steph

Welcome and I LOVE their names! I'm a bit of a mythology freak and I love it when people use the myth names for their dogs :D

As for raising two together, you're going to have your ups and downs. Given the choice I won't do it again. My older 2 boys Hermes and Hercules came as a "package" from someone who would have taken them to the local shelter at 8 wks. I definitely had my hands full. I did and still do crate them together, but anything else I started with Hermes because he is the more dominant one. The key is Patience and Persistence especially when dealing with 2. Single them out for training and grooming so they know it's ok to be alone sometimes and DON'T favor one over the other...Big problems.

Hermes can't go anywhere without his brother and vice versa - they will if they have to, but the one left behind at home stresses out badly, the other depending on where they're going may or may not stress out.

I worry now as they are getting older since they are so bonded to each other...if one passes before the other...even though I do have a third dog; Arelus, they just aren't as bonded to him as they are to each other. That'll be a bridge to cross when I get there I guess.

In the pic L to R: Arelus, Hercules and Hermes peering over his brother :)

Attachments

Last edited:

sevangelho

Thanks everyone! @Penny These are my first dachshund. My husband had one that lives with his mom. My dogs have always been big dogs. It's an interesting experience!

@Steph I love the mythological names too! Started with my parents yellow lab Apollo.

We do train them separately because otherwise it's impossible to do and they spend a lot of time one on one with one of us. We're limiting their playtime together and it's all supervised. They seem to be very different personalities and don't seem to mind when we take the other one away. What they do mind is if they hear the other one having fun with mommy or daddy. They want to have fun too!

Yesterday, Fenix had a bit of an accident in his cage and all he wanted was his daddy. Didn't want to go sleep with Ares. We're hoping that means they're bonding more with us than each other.

Luckily my husband works from home (though he isn't getting much work done right now), so he gets a lot of time with both pups.