Hello All! New puppy versus old dog?

WizKid931

I'm new here and i thought where else to go other than a place where people own doxies. Anyways, I got a new puppy today shes a girl...I have two older dogs also dachshunds like the new puppy Lady who is 4 years old and Trouble who is almost 3. Trouble seems to have a dominance thing going on, hes not neutered. Lady is spayed and took to the puppy very well. The puppy is too small to start running n playing rough so most of the day she sleeps. Lady loves her, trouble doesn't. I tried to introduce him to her and he barked and barked and in one case growled. He smelled her face but then as i let him keep smelling her, he tried to bite her tail and her! If we show the puppy any attention he becomes very upset and wants to bite her it seems. Lady being the older dog and the female likes this new gal but trouble is having a time trying to establish a ground with her and quite frankly i don't know what to do. It hasn't been a day yet but has anybody experienced this? Any tips on how to get trouble on board that there's a 3rd dog in the home now?:confused::(

Doxielove2012

I have two older doxies both female and they are 11 years old. Linus our puppy is six months when he first came home they wanted nothing to do with him. They would snap and growl if he would come anywhere near them. I let everything be I feel you should not interfere unless the puppy is being hurt and is being held down by the older dog. There were times they to quite nasty but I let them do their thing. The older dogs are just showing the puppy where heir place is. Over the last three months m girls have grown to accept them and gladly curl up on the couch with Linus. They still will growl at him if he gets on their nerves but nothing serious has ever happened. I know the first instinct is to get in between and protect the puppy but tis will make the situation worse. The older dogs need to assert the dominance over the younger puppy. It will work itself out in the end and they will be cuddling in no time.

jax's_mommy

The only thing I know to advise, is supervise and give him time. Its a new puppy in his domain, it'll take some time for him to get the idea that she is there to stay. When your unable to supervise, put her in a kennel. If you don't have a kennel, put her in a bathroom, with either newspaper or pee pads.
Best of luck! and congrats on the new puppy