Going on a trip...without my pup!

sherlock

So I found out today that Watson doesn't get to go on the mini vacation we're taking this weekend with the in-laws. I've already set up a sitting arrangement (he'll be staying with the girl I got him from!)

The problem is...we don't leave until Friday, but I'm already insanely nervous!!! Obviously I trust her and I know she'll take great care of him, but we've never left him with anyone else. (There was one 2 day-1 night away, but he stayed at home and our roommate fed him, took him out, etc.)

Of course I'm going to leave a detailed list of his daily routine, habits, etc...but does anyone have any other advice to make this easier?

So I found out today that Watson doesn't get to go on the mini vacation we're taking this weekend with the in-laws. I've already set up a sitting arrangement (he'll be staying with the girl I got him from!)

The problem is...we don't leave until Friday, but I'm already insanely nervous!!! Obviously I trust her and I know she'll take great care of him, but we've never left him with anyone else. (There was one 2 day-1 night away, but he stayed at home and our roommate fed him, took him out, etc.)

Of course I'm going to leave a detailed list of his daily routine, habits, etc...but does anyone have any other advice to make this easier?
Sherlock will be fine.

You, on the other hand. ...?

Focus on your trip and the fun you are going to have. The more energy you spend on worrying about Sherlock, the more unhappy Sherlock will be. He won't know why, just that something bad is about to happen.

Take a deep breath, hold it, release slowly, and think relax. .. relax...

Then go have fun.

sherlock

Thank you! I guess I'm mainly worried about Watson being in a new place without his Momma or Daddy there. I don't want him acting out or anything.

Even if he does "act out" he'll do it in a doggy way. He'll just be a dog, and he will adapt. Leave a sweaty t-shirt for him.

He will have fun being a dog in new surroundings!

You can adapt and have fun, too.

sherlock

Yeah, I was gonna find something smelly to leave with him, that it would be okay if he tore it up (he tears up the blankets in his crate when he gets anxious, I think.)

I found out that she has several other dogs, so I felt better cause I know he'll have lots of fun. Sadly, she doesn't have his dog-mom anymore...I was hoping they could play together.

schierling

We travel a few times a year and I pay someone to come in and sit them or if our daughter is not with us, she cares for them. Honestly they do just fine, even though I have one who pines for me. Believe it or not, like children it is good for them to get used to other people and situations. It makes them more well adjusted, and makes life easier for you.