Food you feed your Dachshund.

chrischoi

Just wanted to check back in and see what you feed your loved ones.
Right now I have 3. One is 2 and the other two are 1.

I am feeding them Royal Canin Dachshund 28. I just wanted to see if there were other options. I'm paying around $43 per 10 lb bag. All input appreciated. Trying to find something more pocket friendly and healthy. Hopefully what I'm feeding them now isn't bad. Figure this would be the perfect place to ask. Thanks.

Inkeri

You have such beautiful babies!! :)

My husband works at a vet's clinic and he gets dog-food for free. He gets Royal canin sensitive and allergic foods, so we feed our dogs that. He also can choose Hill's, but that didn't work on our dogs... They got skin-problems and the other one had an ear infection. :( Royal canin has worked well on our dogs. :)
Although I would prefer something that had no grain in it. We also buy Booster (I don't know if you guys have it in your stores). It is recommended by finnish hunting assosiation and has no grain in it. We have our own mix, I guess. :)

vizzla

I give mine Acana grassland.

Ours didnt like RC dachshundfood. Tryed Magnussons and they pooped like big dogs :( But ACANA works :)

crystalclear1027

food

Since Augie is seven months old, we are still feeding him pro plan puppy food, it has shredded chicken in it, he loves it. The cost is 15 dollars for a ten pound bag and around 34 dollars for a 25 pound bag.

nola

A home cooked, grain free diet because of her severe allergies. When we travel to the North East for two weeks next fall, she'll get The Honest Kitchen dehydrated food.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I wouldn't let my dogs near RC with a 10ft pole, nor any Hills products (Science Diet, Prescription Diet, etc.) Nor anything by Purina (Pro Plan, ONE, etc) Hmm, infact, I can't even list what I won't feed... to many to count

I will only feed foods made by a company that only makes pet food, And they must manufacture in their own plant (not farm it out to a huge manufacturing plant like Diamond) That severely limits what I can feed...

So here are the dry foods I will feed

Champion Pet Foods (Acana, Orijen)
Horizon Pet Foods (Horizon Legacy, Horizon Amicus and Horizon Pulsar)
First Mate
Fromm

The only canned foods I will feed are Fromm and First Mate (Fromm owns their own canning facility, and First Mate using a human food canning facility, no others that are available here have their own canning facility)

Dehydrated foods
K9/Feline Natural
The Honest Kitchen
D.N.A
There are several others that I want to try too :)

Plus I feed raw now and then, as well as scraps.

HilyBee

We are still on Pro Plan since Yosuke is only 4 months old. In the past I have used Diamond, Royal Canin, Purnina Pro, Blue Buffalo (samples only) and Purina One. I'm not sure what I'll switch to with Yosuke yet. He loves Purina so I'll probably keep him on that.

Steph

I used to have a formula that was able to figure out the amount of sugar contained in pet foods...I can't seem to find it now. The point is this, one thing pet food companies don't have to tell you is the amount of sugar in the food. Royal Canin, Science Diet and many of the Purina formulations are loaded with sugar. Can we say diabetic dogs?

The ones that Deaf Dogs listed are all very good foods, yes, on the pricey side but the good thing is that they don't contain the high levels of sugar, no grain, wheat or soy that the other foods have. I feed a selection of the foods that she mentioned above and my guys all do wonderfully. I also include some raw and semi raw foods in my guys rotation. I have one guy that suffers ear infections if he gets near corn, one that has a sensitive tummy when it comes to certain beef products and then I have my wiener who is a chow hound, so I looked for foods that I could keep the issues under control but something that they would enjoy. I buy the larger bags of food and even with 3 small sized dogs, it lasts me a couple of months.

A good site to consult is Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Good luck!

Penny

Chris, this is off topic, but since you posted a photo of your babies, and they are so close in age, were you thinking of breeding?

HilyBee

What puppy food has everyone had the best luck with? Yosuke likes his Pro Plan but if it's not good for him (and according to the website linked above it's just okay) then I'd rather get him on something better. Our vet said he is growing very well, is very healthy and a perfect weight for his age (4.5 months). Diamond is too expensive and only one store around (45 minutes away!) carries it. It's the "vet recommended" brand here though. (sigh)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Pro Plan is better than Diamond though... Can you get to a Costco? Kirkland food is decent on a budget. They even have a grain free food that's $35 CAD for a 40lb bag (the 30lb bags I buy are between $60-$80 CAD)

Deborah Thomas

What I feed my kids

I feed my three daschunds Solid Gold Holistic blend for seniors, they're all 15 years old! They've been on that food since they were adults, when they were little they had the puppy chow from S.G.
Check out the ingredients, they're really good.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Solid Gold is made by Diamond, no thanks :) There are much better foods out there for the price you pay for Solid Gold

nola

What puppy food has everyone had the best luck with? Yosuke likes his Pro Plan but if it's not good for him (and according to the website linked above it's just okay) then I'd rather get him on something better. Our vet said he is growing very well, is very healthy and a perfect weight for his age (4.5 months). Diamond is too expensive and only one store around (45 minutes away!) carries it. It's the "vet recommended" brand here though. (sigh)
I used Blue Buffalo Puppy until she was 10 1/2 months old, then I switched around with a lot of high quality things before settling on home cooked.

amparra

I feed Fromm to my Doxie. I usually buy the small breed gold formula but they didn't have it the last time I got so I grabbed the grain free Game Bird instead. My lab eats Nature's Variety LID Lamb. Lily has an iron stomach and handles cold turkey switches really easily without any problems so I rotate that in occasionally.

babysis

I used to give Baby Blue Buffalo wet and dry it was inexpensive compared to now. (20-30 every 2 months to $60 every 2 months). She was crazy for the blue. I unfortunately have to give her Science diet zd- no choice on that. And I am not a fan of it at all... but it keeps her from having the severe tummy/intestinal issues. I wish there was a different option but she reacts bad to any other foods now.

sbarne3

We currently feed Wellness, but are getting ready to switch to Nature's Logic.
Unfortunately it's not available at any of the chain retailers, but wag.com has it at a reasonable cost and two-day shipping is free.

schierling

I have one really allergic little guy and I feed him (well both of them) the limited ingredient line. No grains and they prefer the salmon one. We are struggling through one bag of bison. I buy a mid sized 20 lb bag for about $40 at petco. I tried the vet brands but they did not see to help. I notice a difference in his symptoms on the much cheaper brands.