Eli is hurt

SSG.House

:(

His first day of obediance training and he got smashed by a bigger dog. Not a puppy...but a 75lbs Pitt mixthats at least a year old. On Wednesday at school he got trampled by a big dumb beast, and screamed for about 2 hours I wrapped him in his puppy blanket and held him and called the vet...a vet tech happened to be in PETCO and she began rubbing his legs and hips to see if there was bone damage, she talked to the vet and the vet told her to hold off stopping by till the morning and to give him half a tab of baby aspirin at 600pm and 6am. Stop by in the morning if he is still limping. He was still holding his leg high so I took him to the vet. Vet rubbed his leg and told me its just a sore muscle.

Now its Saturday and Eli will put weight on his leg, but hobbles and yelps when he is touched there. I feel bad. My first instinct was to shoot the Pitt mix and owner for being an idiot. If not for my love of Eli I would have done something stupid. Now my best friend is hurt, and I have no clue what to do. I spent $200 bucks to have a vet say he's fine and lack the funds to take him to another vet. I'm worried and upset. I called PETCO and said they really need to seperate big dogs from little dogs.

I'm frustrated and feel as though I let my friend down by not protecting him.

garyd

Did you fill out an "incident report" at Petco? It seems to me that they are at least partly responsible, and they carry liability insurance for things such as this. I encourage you to talk to first the store manager and next the district/regional manager. Let them know your concerns for your pet and don't be afraid to give them your expectations of their involvement in the healing process.

SSG.House

Did you fill out an "incident report" at Petco? It seems to me that they are at least partly responsible, and they carry liability insurance for things such as this. I encourage you to talk to first the store manager and next the district/regional manager. Let them know your concerns for your pet and don't be afraid to give them your expectations of their involvement in the healing process.
No one mentioned anything about a report. But I will be going there Monday to pick up some ferret food, will mention it.

garyd

No one mentioned anything about a report. But I will be going there Monday to pick up some ferret food, will mention it.
Most retail establishments will have a standard form to fill out for documenting any kind of incident involving a customer. Be sure to point out to the manager that no one offered to fill out one at the time and you'd like documentation including but not limited to all details pertaining to the incident including employee & other witness names and contact information.

Most retail establishments are deathly afraid of being sued. That is the reason for the incident report form. It documents exactly what happened and leaves no room for fabrication on the part of the injured party at a later date.

They USUALLY enter a defensive mode and are often relieved if they know what it takes to satisfy your claim. I'd think that they'd be expecting to pay vet bills for you and be happy that you're not trying to take them for all you can.

Steph

How's Eli? Did you get anywhere with Petco?

Now this may be just my knowledge of some obedience places in and around where I am, but they tend to have something called a "Waiver of Liability" and if you sign one then where you train is not liable for anything that happens to your dog while in the confines of their facility. This may sound like a pain in the backside, but if you can find a lawyer that does free consults I would look one up and find out what your options are just in case Petco does have a waiver in place.

Good luck!!

vizzla

Can you report this to the police? That person should not have a dog!

Im not convinced he doesnt have a broken bone. Please check that up, if he still is in so much pain.. Poor guy! I understand your anger, I would have thought the same way! Nobody hurts my babies!

Get well soon! Alf och Theo from Sweden is holding their paws for you!

SSG.House

Update on Eli...

Sorry I haven't posted till now. Eli is fine now. He stopped limping a few days ago. He would not limp for about an hour and run or do something and start limping again....luckily that stopped all together. Eli is a spunky little soul.

PETCO does indeed have a waiver for injury...its at the bottom of the pet enrollment form. He is enrolled in a private session now....no charge for the 1 on 1. The lady is really good with Eli and he seems to know when its travel time because he will stand on his crate as we put browny (a puppy bed that my mom used for her new foundland puppies when she was a breeder) he makes sure his blanket, and a raw hide bone gets placed.

He travels in his crate, and he seems to love going bye bye.

BTW are Doxies known for seperation anxiety? I cannot seem to do anything without him. Not that I mind but when i make a run to the store he will sit by the door and cry...and cry and cry....dispite the fact my mom is there trying to play with him etc.

Oh and each morning its like he missed me while he slept a few inches away from me...he likes to ambush me and licks my face excitedly.

He's perfect lol. I was just wondering if its a breed trait.