E-Collar

joebo27

I just got my pup neutered. he was good in the e-collar for the first 2 days, now it is driving him INSANE! He spent most of the night last night trying to rip it off, banging into things and clawing at it...

the vet said to keep it on until he gets his stitches out in 10 days, but i've also heard people say they took their pups off right away. I am inclined to listen to the vet obviously, but would like to know what any of you guys who have doxie's did.

Thanks!

Inkeri

We just had our younger dog neutered and he had his collar on only at night and when he was home alone. Otherwise we took it off, because we were able to see if he tried to lick the wound - he didn't try. You could also try one of these, if you want to be sure:

ProCollar Premium Inflatable Protective Collar at PETCO

It should be more comfortable for the dog. My friend had one for her dachsie, because the dog was able to get the e-collar off... :)

Steph

Only if you are able to be there to supervise can you leave the e collar off.

I thought that my older 2 boys would be ok without their e collars on after their neuters...boy, was I WRONG! Both of them within a 24 hr span ended up with seromas (blood blisters) from licking. Let's just say when those suckers burst, it was not pretty. A 10 day round of antibiotics and more painkillers were in order. So, needless to say I learned my lesson when my youngest boy was neutered - when I wasn't around the "cone of shame" was on.

garyd

Neither of our boys bothered their stitches at all...our vet said that males are not as prone to as females (for what that's worth). Might just give him a chance when you can watch him closely.