Do Not Pet!!!

love'laska

Hi everyone!

Alaska and I have just moved into my college dorm over the weekend and she's getting quite a lot of attention here. For those of you who have been keeping up, she is my emotional support animal for my anxiety and PTSD. Within two years, I would like to have her Therapy Dog Certified.

I don't really mind the attention she's getting in the dorm building with my fellow students and peers, mostly because this is an environment in which I feel safe and comfortable and know most of the people. However, Alaska and I spend a lot of time hanging around outside our building, either by taking a walk or just standing on the grass patch right outside (as we must, since this is where Alaska potties and gets walks for exercise), so many people stop to pet her. I was so shocked to find that about 70% of these strangers DON'T EVEN ASK IF THEY CAN PET HER!!! A few people have even tried to pet her while she was pooping!

Two examples from when I took her outside ten minutes ago. We weren't even walking anywhere. We were standing on the green space outside of the building entrance, which is where I've been teaching Alaska she should potty before and after walks. I was also talking on the phone to my mom as there has been a family emergency at home. (Alaska was on a very very short leash- maybe 3-4 feet and I kept my eyes glued on her). Right before I took out my phone to dial, a girl walked up to me and asked if she could pet Alaska. I said yes, because at that moment, all my attention was focused on my dog as I hadn't yet made my phone call. Then she asked if she could pick her up. Shocked, I said no. Then she started petting her, put her hands around her as if to pick her up and asked again saying "I really want to hold her". I said absolutely not, incredibly pissed off. Then, after she left and I was on the phone, one girl walked up, bent down, and just started petting her while I was talking on the phone. She didn't even say a word to me. I was astonished and glared at her before leading Alaska away.

It's so infuriating, and after only five days of living here, I'm so so sick of it. I don't even want to take her out anymore because of the attention she is getting. I understand that she's a puppy and will draw a lot of attention, but she's also my dog IN TRAINING and most people aren't grasping that. It makes my anxiety unusually high because it forces me to have to find a way to ask people to stop touching my dog, when I hate confrontation. Alaska LOVES the attention and is very friendly to strangers, but someone stopping randomly to pet her is incredibly distracting to the task at hand- usually using the bathroom or focusing on me during a walk. I wouldn't mind if they asked because I know when the appropriate times for my dog to be touched are, and in the middle of using the bathroom is not.

Several times, we've spent twenty or thirty minutes outside with a ton of people stopping to pet her, which makes Alaska tired and lay down (usually her sign that we can go inside now), only to pee in the dorm once we get back. I can't help but attribute this to so many people distracting her since she was perfectly potty trained in my backyard before moving here.

I'm at my wits end. I'm incredibly stressed out by the number of people touching her right now. She's only 10 weeks old and I need her attention to be geared towards me so I can keep her well trained. I know she socializes well, and in the future that will come in handy. Right now, however, I need people to give her space and they aren't.

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to what I should do to handle this. I've already mentioned that confrontation makes my anxiety high. Should I get her an emotional support animal badge to go on her harness, so people will maybe think twice? Or are there any badges or harnesses that would suggest my dog should not be approached?

I honestly have no idea what to do. I'm losing it.

Nell

Hi Emily, sorry to hear you are having a rough start at college. I agree it is so annoying when people don't ask its also very stupid as they don't know your dog is friendly.

Well done for saying no to being picked up, I don't let anyone pick mine up, Connie is very wary of being picked up by strangers and I am always worried that if she wriggles they will drop her!

This is a new experience for both of you and the last thing you need is extra stress but any move or change in circumstances is bound to bring teething problems. I guess also that the move may have unsettled Alaska a bit so a couple of indiscretions or accidents can also be easily forgiven.

I agree about the whole confrontation bit no one needs that. Trouble is Alaska is a beautiful pup and bound to attract attention even if its not invited! be proud of your little star she is a credit to you.

I don't know if there are any "therapy dog" labels etc. but guide dogs have a "working" jacket they wear when in training so it may be possible to find something similar to that.

The only other thing I can think of is as soon as someone approaches just say "sorry we have to go" and walk round the block, hopefully they will have gone when you come back or if you can just ask them not to speak to her as you are trying to train her to ignore people in public ...?

Hang in there and try not to let it stress you too much, you have your best friend right beside you so loads of cuddles and I am sure you will work it out together.

Dachloves201

I'm sorry to hear the trouble you are having. The fortunate thing is that puppies are cute, unfortunately dachshund puppies are even cuter than most! I can understand how off putting random people coming to pet or try to pick up your pup can be. I went through it and often times still go through it. I am shocked by the number of folks who just reach out and pet before asking, they know nothing about the dog and that's an easy way to get hurt no matter the size or temperament of the dog. Perhaps it is also that your situation is very unique as I haven't heard of many schools, at least in my area, that will allow companion animals on campus and many people are drawn to her because it is something new? Even still, doesn't make it any less annoying I know. :)

That said, I believe Amazon has some options for Tiny service dog vests which may be helpful for people to realize she is working when she's outside on your walks, she's just not out for play. After a while of seeing it and maybe a few explanation they will get the idea Vest = Work; No Vest = Off Duty. I know myself that if I see a dog walking with a bright yellow, red or orange vest and sticking quite close to the owner I always assume it is a service dog and while I may oooh and ahh, I don't rush over to pet it because to me that color and the accompanying badges mean "don't touch, dog working in progress!"

nola

Are you working with her to become a service dog? Either way, you could get a vest with patches that say "do not pet" or "in training: ask to pet". That'll help some, but really the only way to stop people from doing it is to tell them.
My girl is incredibly well trained, socialized, and friendly. But that doesn't mean I want people hanging all over her. I tell people to leave her alone. Also, teaching a "leave it" when it comes to people is a huge help. Nola can be getting loved on by people, but when I tell her "leave it" she comes to my side and ignores everyone else.

love'laska

Are you working with her to become a service dog? Either way, you could get a vest with patches that say "do not pet" or "in training: ask to pet". That'll help some, but really the only way to stop people from doing it is to tell them.
My girl is incredibly well trained, socialized, and friendly. But that doesn't mean I want people hanging all over her. I tell people to leave her alone. Also, teaching a "leave it" when it comes to people is a huge help. Nola can be getting loved on by people, but when I tell her "leave it" she comes to my side and ignores everyone else.
Amanda,

Right now, Alaska is an emotional support animal. Originally her training plan was to get her Therapy Dog Certified, but I actually learned last evening that her and I qualify as a service dog team. Hopefully she'll be trained and certified in about a year. This is immensely helpful because now I can get her a "service dog in training" badge, which people will hopefully take seriously.

(also, as a side note, I just wanted to let you know that your and Nola's blog was what solidified my decision to get a Doxie this summer. Nola will make a great therapy dog!)

nola

Amanda,

Right now, Alaska is an emotional support animal. Originally her training plan was to get her Therapy Dog Certified, but I actually learned last evening that her and I qualify as a service dog team. Hopefully she'll be trained and certified in about a year. This is immensely helpful because now I can get her a "service dog in training" badge, which people will hopefully take seriously.

(also, as a side note, I just wanted to let you know that your and Nola's blog was what solidified my decision to get a Doxie this summer. Nola will make a great therapy dog!)
Aw, thank you! That means a lot.:)

sherlock

Even if she's not certified yet, I say definitely get her some kind of "in training"/"do not pet" vest!! It sounds like it's exhausting for her, and it definitely seems like it's not helping your anxiety :( I'm sorry people are stupid :(

lisaboo

It does get irritating we have gotten to the point of not really taking Piper out much because she is such a magnet for people and little kids. Most people are good about asking to pet. But I don't like it when they pick her up especially young kids because you have to handle doxies just the right way because of their back issues and little kids just don't get it. If some little kid hurts my dog in public because their parents aren't paying attention to them I am going to freak out! It just puts me in an awkward situation I don't wanna yell at some random kid but my dog is my baby.