Confused on what Dallas is LOL

donnam

Mom is a dapple piebald...Dad is a smooth red with chocolate nose and nails. Dallas has blue eyes, chocolate nose, nails and paw pads. Doing research it "appears" she is a dilute red chocolate based dapple...here are some pics..what do you think? Oh and she has quite a bit of white on her chest

1375841_10151739102240326_1899589147_n.jpg

You can see her nails and paw pads in this one.

1381538_10151762967275326_1451341480_n.jpg

Penny

You know this is a trick question, right?? lol
You've got the hardest dog to get right, a red. You don't mention the mom's color, only 2 patterns. I don't actually see that his eyes are blue, as in dapple. Dapple makes the eye a bright blue, very striking. I didn't see that in the photos.

Dad is a choc based red. Some breeders see a choc nose on a red and call it dilute. That is not what dilute is. A red can have a choc nose and not have a dilute gene. However, if the dog is an ee red (no shading), then their coat will not show dapple. So an ee red can be a dapple, but a bit of bright blue in the eye would prove that indeed they are dapple, but a dapple may not have blue in their eyes. lol

It's much easier to see the color/pattern in a photo without a flash. Outside, on an over cast day will give the best photo for us folks with computer screens to see.

If she is a dilute red, her ears will start to be bald later on. You'll have to wait for that. Did her sire have great hair on his ears, or were they bald? Doxies that are dilute will often have balding and poor coat, but usually after the age of 3. Let's hope that she's not a dilute. lol

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I'm mostly sure your dog will end up with gold eyes. Gold eyed dogs are born with green or turquoise eyes that change as they get older. I don't think they're blue.

donnam

You know this is a trick question, right?? lol
You've got the hardest dog to get right, a red. You don't mention the mom's color, only 2 patterns. I don't actually see that his eyes are blue, as in dapple. Dapple makes the eye a bright blue, very striking. I didn't see that in the photos.

Dad is a choc based red. Some breeders see a choc nose on a red and call it dilute. That is not what dilute is. A red can have a choc nose and not have a dilute gene. However, if the dog is an ee red (no shading), then their coat will not show dapple. So an ee red can be a dapple, but a bit of bright blue in the eye would prove that indeed they are dapple, but a dapple may not have blue in their eyes. lol

It's much easier to see the color/pattern in a photo without a flash. Outside, on an over cast day will give the best photo for us folks with computer screens to see.

If she is a dilute red, her ears will start to be bald later on. You'll have to wait for that. Did her sire have great hair on his ears, or were they bald? Doxies that are dilute will often have balding and poor coat, but usually after the age of 3. Let's hope that she's not a dilute. lol
Dad has a beautiful coat. Ears are beautiful. The mom looks very much like the other puppy in the sleeping pic, Nova. Dallas's eyes are not bright blue, but are blue. If they are going to change to gold, when does that happen usually?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yeah, those are definitely not blue eyes. Her eyes'll change anytime up until 4 months. My guess is she's an ee red (basically liver in most breeds. Livers have brown noses too. Chocolate labs are actually liver, as well. True Chocolate is a dilute liver colour), not chocolate. And most likely she's not dapple, which cannot be proven unless you breed her to a solid coloured dog. If there is a dapple pup, then you will know for sure. I'm assuming you have no intention of doing so, but just incase, a warning: do not breed to a dapple, if so you risk deaf and/or blind white pups like my Mouse and Boo.

Nell

Connie is registered as a Red Dapple, her mum was a chocolate based red dapple (brown nose, no visible dapple markings) and her dad (black nose)was a red. Her litter of two girls were both red dapples with a brown nose. Previous litters from the pair had produced red pups with black noses and pads. As an eight week old pup Connie had no visible dapple markings but she now has a few darker spots. She also had green eyes as a baby which are now more of a hazel.

I think your pup is also a red dapple.

Last edited:

Penny

I'm mostly sure your dog will end up with gold eyes. Gold eyed dogs are born with green or turquoise eyes that change as they get older. I don't think they're blue.
I've never seen a dachshund with gold eyes.

The choc based doxies often end up with a kind of green eye color.
They aren't the bright dapple blue for sure, which is a good thing.

donnam

I think for now I will go with chocolate based red dapple. That seems to fit best. And yes her eyes now that I am looking at the outside seem to be more greenish. thanks for all the help!

Penny

You know what's funny, our city's baseball team is the called Goldeyes, which is a local fish that is popular smoked. That's what I think when I hear goldeyes anyway. lol

donnam

Well no matter what her eyes end up she sure is cute! Can't wait until the eye color mystery is solved LOLOL

Penny

She is absolutely adorable!
Post more pics of them both soon, kay? Any day is better with puppy pics.