Calling Vizzla! Q on hunting license..

Doxmom

Hi, Vizzla~

Your doxie is beautiful! Can you tell us a little about the hunting exam he will be taking? What does your dog have to demonstrate to pass the exam?

Thanks!:confused:

vizzla

Hello and thanx!

We havnt started his hunting-training. We are no experts. But our local dachshundclub has a hunter who will take all new members and dogs that never have hunted and help us train.

A test will challenge him to first seek out for a rabbit, then follow it (if he loose the track he must seek and find it again), then they judge his barking, how well he does in the terrain :)

I can tell you more when we start this. I hope now in december but Im not sure we have the time.

vizzla

Yes something like that. They test if the dog is good enough as a hunter. Some do it just for fun and to get an evaluation of the dog. I think all dachshunds owner should test their dogs in any of the bloodtracking, hunting (rabbits or deer) or earthdog testing. :)

SSG.House

That's what I was thinking about. Eli starts obediance training next week....after that its going to be non stop training for I think the next few months to get him companion dog certified. The lady who runs basic obediance school is also a trainer for companion/service dog...and as a bonus she owns Doxies. I have been reading the earth dog testing and I just think it would be a fun way to spend time with my puppy outside of training for companion/service dog

sherlock

That sounds like fun! I still need to get Watson into some obedience training...and then when he's older and more calm I want to train him to be a therapy dog :)