Barks at strangers

msdoxieowner

I have a 2-year-old B&T standard doxie (male) who is extremely anti-social. He barks like crazy at EVERYONE he meets or sees. When meeting new people, he barks at them for four or five minutes, then he's OK. I cannot take him ANYWHERE there are people, though, because he absolutely barks his head off. Any suggestions? He's a sweet boy.

sherlock

There's another member who is having the same issue when she takes her girl on walks. My only suggestion is more socialization. It might be hard at first if he just keeps barking, but hopefully it will get easier the more he is around other people.

My other suggestion to her might help you, too: dog parks! Maybe your little guy will be to distracted playing with the other dogs to bark at people, but he can still meet them?

I hope you can figure something out...an antisocial dog stresses everyone out...you cause he's acting like that, and other people because let's face it, having a dog bark at you is unnerving!

Penny

My old neighborhood had these pathways that went between the houses to give short cuts to the kids walking to school. They were great but too many times there was barking dogs that had the run of the fence when walking through there. It was a major challenge to walk any of the dogs through there, the worst was the chain link where they could see each other.

I practiced bringing along a treat bag (which most often was kibble from their daily ration) and practiced 'look at me'. We never did a sit because lots of times the paths were dirty with mud, but a sit would be nice. I got to the point that I could stand in the path, with the dog(s) barking their heads off, at the chain link no less, and they would just stand and look at me. We practiced being calm and ignoring. My husband did not believe me so he came along finally and his jaw fell open. It took time to get there, but you can too with practice and calmness. We practiced away from the distraction first to get that on solid ground, then slowly bring in the distractions. Good luck!

vizzla

Our 3 y male does that to. We tell everyone we meet to ignore him. Its getting better. When he doesnt feel people are intressted in him, he has no reason for barking.

Barking is a sign of "I need spaces" so keep the distance untill he can be cloese to others...

Penny

That's so what Cesar Millan says, "No talk, no touch, no eye contact".
If only people would do that! They see a very cute dachshund and they can't help themselves. lol