As if she didn't have enough wrong with her...

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Poor little Mouse (totally Deaf, 15-20% vision, missing half a foot, allergic to some metals and vinegar, has alopecia and sleep apnea...)

She has started having seizures! SHe has had 3 in 2 months...

time to see the vet...

Doxmom

So sorry, Sara! That's awful..Please let us know what the vet says. And know that adorable Little Mouse is in our prayers..

Steph

I'm so sorry to hear this! Prayers for you and Mouse.

Seizures are not fun - they are downright scary. I had a foster dog that seizured. Something I found handy when I had the little tyke and the vet appreciated, was the notebook I kept logging date, time, length of seizure, how long it took for her to come around afterwards and any changes to behaviour/ eating/ potty habits.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Thanks all.

Yeah, I've been logging her seizures after the second one. Thankfully they're not too scary, she stays conscious, tries to walk, but shakes uncontrollably and is scared and confused. it only lasts for a few seconds, and doesn't take very long for her to be back to her normal self, though for about 10 minutes after, she cant seem to see at all.

It doesn't look like normal hereditary epilepsy, they're not grand maul, and the seizures happen when she's running around, not when she's resting, which both go against the norm for typical hereditary epilepsy. but they started a couple months before her 4th birthday (and from what I read, it typically starts between 1-3 or 1-5 years, depending on the source I read)

It hasn't affected her behaviour or personality, she's still the same, happy little dog who plays with anyone who will, and runs around like a loon... but holy crap it scares me!!!

I'm going to have her thyroid tested again (had it done when she was 2 because I was concerned for her hair loss, she was right in the middle of the normal range though) because Hyperthyroidism can cause seizures, and she has trouble keeping weight on. My old springer had hypothyroidism, and had 2 seizures late in life that looked alot like Mouse's seizures (conscious, but confused), my vet recommended me to stop giving her her hypothyroid pills, and she never had another after I stopped the meds.

There is some that believe that double merle/dapple has a bigger risk of developing epilepsy caused by eye defects... and Mouse certainly has that! but it usually develops earlier.

At this point, I don't want to medicate her, as she has only had three, and they were far apart, but typically they get more frequent, so we're on a wait and see, I suppose...

I'm just so heartbroken, she doesn't deserve this!!!