Would A Reputable Breeder Even Sell To Me?

Hello,

First, let me say that this is my first time posting to this forum, so I apologize if this question has been asked before!

For a while, I've been doing research on dachshunds (particularly miniature). The breed seems like a great match for my lifestyle and living situation, and I feel like I could provide a wonderful home to a precious doxie :) I'm currently a college student who lives in an apartment, however the apartment is actually a stand alone, two story townhouse. My apartment complex has a fenced in dog park included for residents' use, so a puppy would have room to run around and would be well socialized from a young age (after shots!).

I've found several breeders who, after extensive research, seem like great choices. However, I'm hesitant to contact them because I'm not sure they would sell to me... See, for two years I owned a beautiful Golden Retriever, and recently had to make the absolutely heartbreaking choice to give her to a new home. Now, before you see this as a selfish choice due to a lack of interest or an inability to take care of her, let me explain.

My boyfriend and I got Riley in Summer 2012. She was my puppy, but we both helped raise her and take care of her. She was given all of her shots in a timely manner, fed Blue Buffalo from the very first day, and only ever had accidents in the house a handful of times. We spent hours training her, taking her to dog parks, letting her play with the other dogs at our apartment complex, and loving her to pieces. We crate trained her, taught her tons of tricks, and made sure she always had new toys and treats. She had a great life, so please don't think we didn't have the time for her or that we couldn't afford her. If I were thinking strictly of my own interests, I would have Miss Riley here with me forever. The problem arose when she had a taste of life on land, and became increasingly unhappy with her living situation. When my boyfriend and I would go out of town, his parents would volunteer to watch Riley. They had tons of land, so Riley could run around the entire time she was there. At first, this was sort of just a treat for her, and she would come back and happily continue living in my apartment as usual. However, things really took a turn whenever we left her with my bf's parents over Spring Break. After having a full week to run around and play with other dogs, she became very depressed at my house. She would just lay there and whine regardless of how much exercise or interaction she got. More time passed, and she had the chance to visit my bf's parents numerous times (usually for family reunions, barbecues, or just to see everyone. only once because we went out of town!), and each time she would become more and more depressed. After trying everything, I began thinking about the possibility of finding her a home where she could be happier and have more freedom. I talked to several friends, and almost immediately a girl from my hometown volunteered to adopt Riley. She was so excited, and had been looking for a Golden for months. Her house had a huge yard, other dogs, a reinforced fence, and a room just for Riley. This made me both happy (because Riley had a wonderful option for a home) and sad (because I knew in the bottom of my heart that Riley would be thrilled to live there). So, after interviewing and judging her capabilities as an owner, I went through with the adoption process. My boyfriend and I get to visit her, and she has a fantastic new family. This seems like it was ultimately the best (but hardest) choice for both of us.

However, now that Riley's gone, there's a hole in my heart. I've been researching breeds that would be much happier with my living situation, and this breed seems like a great fit. After raising a well-behaved and healthy Golden, I know that I can provide a dachshund with a loving home that will be a good fit for him/her, too. I'm well aware of the time commitment and cost of owning a dog, as well as the ups and downs of dog ownership. I'm fully prepared for these responsibilities, and would love nothing more than to have a high energy, loyal, loving dog who is smaller and has average exercise needs. My question is, would any reputable breeder even consider selling me a puppy? Usually, the fact that I re-homed a previous dog would probably throw up an immediate red flag and would be a deal breaker for a sale. However, I really didn't make the decision because of behavioral issues, lack of interest, or financial instability. I did it because it seemed as if I was just not a good fit for Riley after she had experience with another lifestyle, and knew she would be happier somewhere she could run around all day. She is much happier where she is, and I feel as if this was the right decision. If I explained this to a breeder, would he/she understand? I want to provide my dog with the BEST life possible, and it was because of this that I ultimately made the choice to re-home Riley. I know that I can provide a wonderful, fulfilling life for a dachshund. They are high energy and have big personalities (which I love), but also can be worn out easier than a Golden and are content with apartment living. I'm aware of the potential health issues, and will provide a ramp so that my dachshund can walk upstairs without causing any back strain. Dachshunds can be difficult to train, especially when it comes to housebreaking, but Riley had a sneaky/stubborn streak, so I feel as if I could adequately train my new dachshund. Obviously, I'm not an expert about the breed or about dog ownership, so I'm more than open to any feedback you guys have. If you feel like I wouldn't be a good owner to a future dog, don't feel bad about being honest and explaining why!

Last edited:

Lupita

First off, I can't imagine anyone judging you to be a bad dog owner based on your description of what happened with Riley. My only question is whether the breeder you got her from knows that you've re-homed her, as a reputable breeder would want to have a say in any home one of their puppies goes to.

I've personally had to re-home a dog. It was a completely different situation (adult dog adopted from the pound with no opportunity to test him out with our first dog) but was a heart-breaking decision. It was that experience that made me think about breeders instead of rescue (our first dog is a rescue) and I was totally honest with the breeders I spoke with about having re-homed a dog. None of them held that against me. If you are up-front about the situation, it may not be an issue.

However, I do have to warn you that a Dachshund is nothing like a Golden! Riley may have had a stubborn streak, but you don't know stubborn until you bring a Doxie pup into your family. Of course, every dog is an individual. But in general, the breed is notorious for being hard to housetrain. They are also often very vocal (barky) and territorial, so lots of socialization and training is essential. You will need to have double the patience you needed when Riley was a pup.

That being said, you will be hard-pressed to find a more loyal or affectionate breed than a Mini. They are hilarious characters that will steal your heart and soul.

Penny

If you do end up with a doxie with a smooth coat, be sure to have a lot of blankets for them to burrow under. There is no dog like a doxie that will cuddle and snuggle with you for your favorite tv show, under a blankie too please.

Hunter's Parade

I'd like to call myself a responsible breeder and I would sell you one of my puppies. I see why you did it,I have done it myself,because the dogs wasn't happy living with me,not because I didn't like her,want her or couldn't afford her she simply wasn't happy with us.
It's so damn true about housebreaking. I hate to admit it,but they are VERY hard to housebreak. I still have problems with my year old,not talking about the 6 months old,but the year old poops even in bed if her tummy is upset,can't explain why she does it in bed,but it sure makes me think fast why her tummy is upset and how to solve the problem. She has a sensitive stomach. Changed her kibble from puppy to adult,there is 1% difference in crude and here we go...
They are very active, I would never call them medium energy level,they can go,go and go,rest a bit and go again.But they are fine with no exercise at all,if I can't take them out,or they will be fine with a short walk.