When does the attachment stop!

lisaboo

We love our Piper (3 1/2 months) but she is up our butts 24/7 she is driving us nuts! I don't know if it's some separation anxiety or what, but we need her to find some independence and soon. She has toys and a chew bone we catch her playing alone every once in awhile but not enough.

Is this just her age? Will she grow out of this or should we be doing something? She knows when we leave that we always come back. But she jumps on us and gets in our faces when we get home I love her and want her to know that but I don't want this attachment behavior to continue.

Any advice would be great =]

crystalclear1027

That's how dachshunds are! These dogs want to be with you all of the time. There is not much you can do about the attachment part of it, but you can train her not to jump on you when you come home.

Nell

When I first got my dachshund cross (at twelve weeks) he followed me everywhere....and I do mean everywhere. He absolutely hated being left. He could be fast asleep and as soon as I got up to make a cup of tea he would be behind me. I even started to feel guilty every time I moved...lol, the poor pup hardly got any sleep during the day.

He will be three in January and things are so much better now, it started to get better when he reached a year (sorry!). He still likes to be with me but when we are at home he no longer follows me constantly.

I now have a six month dachshund puppy and am back at square one, she follows me everywhere, gets quite anxious at the thought of not being close to me. I do leave her for up to three hours, she has the run of the kitchen and I know she settles very quickly and is fast asleep when I return.

I think it is very much a baby thing, you are her world, her love and her protection. I am sure it will get better with time. Well that's what I am banking on anyway......good luck!

vizzla

They are familydogs and need to be close. Thats dachshunds :) She may start beeing more by her self as she gets older. But dont push her away.

lisaboo

I don't want to push her away and we love having her around. It can just be a lot sometimes and you just want a break. But we will work on the jumping and getting in people's faces thing that might help.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well... I have 2 just like that... 4.5 and 9 years old! But that has alot to do with their deafness as well as their breed... deaf dogs are almost always velcro dogs... add in that they're dachshunds and you have crazy glue dogs! !! Lol

GJBain

That's how dachshunds are! These dogs want to be with you all of the time. There is not much you can do about the attachment part of it, but you can train her not to jump on you when you come home.
This is 100% right. It is the breed and how they are. Ours was 17 when she left us and she was always there. Always! I would not of had it anyother way.

donnam

Maltese are the same way...I now have three velcro dogs. They all sleep in my bed and all three have to be touching me to fall asleep LOL