Vaccination side effects

WillyPea

Hello everyone,

My handsome 11 week old miniature dachshund had his second vaccination on Monday which means he is able to go outside next week.

After his first vaccination he was very grumpy and had an upset stomach so we knew by the second time he might feel the same, however, he has been incredibly bitey and a little aggressive with us and doesn't want to sit on our knee (he is usually very loving and wants a cuddle all the time).

I know he should be teething soon but usually he's happy to exchange our hand for one of his many chew toys but he seems more interested in biting us or biting everything he isn't meant to. Is he just feeling under the weather?

I'm hoping this will only last until tomorrow otherwise I will start to worry but I was just wondering whether anyone else has had issues like this?

Thank you in advance,

Paula

Nell

Hi Paula and welcome from Hertfordshire!

Your pup probably is feeling a little off colour but it could also be a combination of teething as well, give it a few more days. Hand chewing should not be encouraged or allowed, you could try a LOUD sharp yelp when he grabs your hand to surprise him and make it clear it is not acceptable to be too rough.

If he is teething he needs loads of stuff he is allowed, kongs are great and if you stuff them they keep them occupied for ages. Hard chews are good too.

Good luck with your new puppy, I hope you have years of pleasure to come!

WillyPea

Hi Nell :) Thanks for your advice, we are just a little worried about our wee man.

We've been actively yelping followed by "no bite" every time he bites and if he's in our lap when his does this we put him down and say the same. He seems to be more aggressive with biting his toys so I'm wondering more that it's his teeth along with him not feeling well.

Oscar LOVES his Kong, we also have a Nylonbone which he enjoys chewing! I think the Kong was the first toy I bought when I knew we were getting him, it's just brilliant.

jarredfeet

I was going to recommend Kong, and just glad he likes it already. There are times on Jarred's first few weeks here he was bit aggressive so we just consistently discouraging him and glad he somehow outgrown it. Surely yours would get through this, welcome to that board!

WillyPea

Thank you! We have been fairly consistent with him when he's been biting which seems to be working. He loves his kong and also his antler horn, which are brilliant for chewing and we have just enrolled him in a puppy class which starts in the New Year :D I'm very excited!

Oscar is such a wonderful addition to our home, neither my partner or I have owned a dog before so it's a completely new experience. I feel like a new mother constantly googling and reading every bit of information on him, we just want him to have the best life possible!

Penny

Have you posted photos yet?? Love to see some.
Once he's out of his chewing phase, I wouldn't give him any more antlers. I had bought some too and then asked the vet who said they were too hard and they've seen tooth damage from them. It would be awful if they cracked a tooth and had to suffer the pain since they wouldn't be able to tell us. A puppy though should be ok for now since they are teething, not cranking on them like an adult would.

Penny

What a cutie! Don't be shy about posting pics, kay?
They are little only for a short time and we'd love to see more.