Teething and Tooth Fairies

HilyBee

Yosuke's teeth have been shedding quite a bit lately. I've found three this week! He would make some serious cash with the tooth fairy if she would visit dogs. ;)

Anyways, I've been giving him busy bones to chew on when he is super chewy because they have a soft center and a medium hard exterior (he's only 5 mo. old). He makes a huge mess with them every time though so I really don't like them. He LOVES them of course. lol He gets so sticky and gross! Always gets a bath after. Any recommendations for bones we should try? Kongs aren't his fav either.

Augie/Rusty

We've been giving our pup the Pedigree Denta stiks...Ol' roy Bone mints stiks or Hartz chewy snack bars....all great for his teeth...goodluck Rusty:D

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
We've been giving our pup the Pedigree Denta stiks...Ol' roy Bone mints stiks or Hartz chewy snack bars....all great for his teeth...goodluck Rusty:D
None of those are very healthy. Bully sticks are great for teething puppies, as well as frozen, raw chicken necks.

I'm surprised you're actually finding teeth... most of the time they just swallow them! I've fostered many a teething puppy, ad only ever found one tooth!

nola

Bully sticks are great. I've heard good things about antlers, but have no experience with them.

HilyBee

I didn't keep his teeth, or I would have taken pictures. If I find another, I will. :) I've found four. He is our second doxie. He's pretty small at only 6 pounds. Our vet said it's a temperament thing for him. He will chew on something when his teeth are even a teeny bit wiggly and then spit them out on my lap. GROSS but funny. hehe.

Do bully sticks smell bad? I've heard they do. o_O And I've heard some horror stories with antlers because they are so hard, so I've stayed away from them. Thoughts?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Mouse, Scout and Zoe have all broken teeth on antlers, so I no longer use them, Some bully sticks do stink, but there are odourless options :)

I do honestly prefer to give my dogs raw bones, lick chicken necks/backs/wings and drumsticks... much healthier options, and you can feed them frozen for a teething puppy :)

Just remember to stay away from anything made in China!

HilyBee

Mouse, Scout and Zoe have all broken teeth on antlers, so I no longer use them, Some bully sticks do stink, but there are odourless options :)

I do honestly prefer to give my dogs raw bones, lick chicken necks/backs/wings and drumsticks... much healthier options, and you can feed them frozen for a teething puppy :)

Just remember to stay away from anything made in China!
Thanks! :D I'll check into the chicken bones and more into bully sticks. I've heard about broken teeth from almost everyone with antlers. :/

sherlock

I found I think 3 of Watson's. I stepped on at least one and thought "wtf was that?!" We gave him a kong with some peanut butter in it, because he would lick out the pb and then just gnaw on the kong. I also had a baby teething toy (the kind you freeze, had it from when DH was having some tooth pain)...it was the kind without the gel in it, so I'd freeze it and let Watson chew on it. He really liked it.

And I have a friend whose shepherd mix would actually bring my friend her teeth!! So weird and funny.