Stubborn Walker

Frankie Bean

We've encountered a new "issue" with our mini doxie, Frankie.

She is almost 7 months old and we've had her for 11 days. Brand new! The last several days we've watched her become more and more comfortable in the house. She was comfortable with me and my husband right off the bat, and that's continued. She has been really great on the leash and hasn't had any problems with being housebroken. Overall, 500% great!

All that being said, yesterday she decided that in no way shape or form was she going for a walk with my husband. Immediately after leaving the house she plops down behind him and will.not.move.

She is GREAT on walks with me. She is GREAT with him if I am walking with them - I don't even have to be holding the leash.

He has been super patient, praises her when she walks even a step, etc. etc. but we're not sure what else we should be doing! As it stands, it takes about 45 minutes for the two of them to make it around the block.

Nell

Ha ha, sorry but your post really made me smile!

Welcome to the world of dachshunds! boy are they smart and this little one is letting you know exactly who is in charge and where she fits in the pack lol!

She follows you because she has decided you are pack leader but is giving the VERY clear message that everyone else should follow her! what a bright girl....and at seven months you have a very stroppy teenager on your hands!

To remedy her misconception of her own self importance I would suggest your partner takes over the mealtimes for a while, let him feed her for a few days and this should help establish that he too is one that should be respected and obeyed. I will guarantee after a few days she will be following him as though he is the best thing since sliced bread!

Just another note of warning, dachshunds are very clever, sounds like you have a very strong willed little lady, be sure to occupy her brain as well as giving the daily exercise she needs. Hunting games are good along with plenty of chews, toys etc that she is allowed to destroy, a bored dachshund is a naughty dachshund!

Everything said, there is nothing more rewarding than training a clever dachshund, sounds like you have a star in the making!

Last edited:

Frankie Bean

Thanks for the reply, and the advice! We'll definitely give that a shot, as well as introduce some new toys to her repertoire!

She is definitely a smart little thing and we are already hooked!

Penny

We can't go for walks for a good half of the year so we use 'find the ball' every day, for a half hour or longer, for exercise. Here is Beau finding the ball under the step stool we have for them to go up on the couch. Dachshunds can really hurt their backs jumping down from things so please use a step stool for them for the couch or chair..

When going for a walk, sometimes bringing a holy roller along, bouncing it and throwing it ahead keeps the walk moving forward..

Beach balls can burn off a lot of energy..

Be sure to crate train your sweetie. When they get a back injury the back legs can become paralyzed. They can recover from this if you act quickly and take her to the vet asap. The treatment is 8 weeks of strict crate rest. If you are proactive, teaching her that the crate is a safe place, this stressful time can be made much easier if she is comfortable in a crate. This is not to say that she has to be in it 8 hours but rather she learn that some time in a crate is when it's time to be quiet and have a nap. It also keeps them safe and out of the way when the front door is open and people are going in and out. It's the best way for her to travel in a vehicle too.

So looking forward to seeing a lot more pics!

Frankie Bean

Thanks! She LOVES her crate, which is a huge plus. We don't crate her while we are at work, but for short periods of time while we're at home. She just lays down and sleeps and doesn't make a peep!

Your dogs are adorable! I like the idea of walking with a ball. I think she'd love that!

Penny

You know, my dogs know the command "look at me" and it's been very handy. Let's say you're out at the park and she wants to bark at a big dog. The "look at me" keeps her focused on you and ignoring what she needs to ignore. The other great thing about that command is photos. Standing still and looking at you can get you the great portraits. Like this, Georgia..

Here's Beau..

JPsMOM

Not trying to hi-jack and thread but since it may be helpful to the OP as well, how exactly did you teach them the hunt for the ball thing? Jasper is very much out of sight out of mind even if it's his beloved Kong bear lol. We are looking for more indoor exercise things

Sent via tapatalk

Penny

First of all they are ball crazy. The first dachshund we had, hubby held him and I showed him the ball and put it on the ground, and he ran over and grabbed it. Good. Hubby held him again, I showed him the ball, and put it around the corner. Hubby let go, and the little guy ran around the corner and found it. Yay!! Add a command like "go get it!". Show him that you put it under the couch pillow, put him down and he goes to get it, sniffing under the pillow. Make it easy so they get the hang of it. Every dog that came after figured it out by watching the other one hunt. Beau was absolutely the funniest. He got all excited, ran around in circles, didn't know what the heck to do but dog gone it, it was fun. lol

I do keep the ball up so they can't just have it on the floor to chew up.

They also know at some point in the morning that they have to go pee, then the ball comes out. At my house, that's the fastest 3 pees you'll ever see. lol

Last edited: