Stroller for your puppy?

Doxmom

Inkeri's comments about not seeing dogs with booties in Finland, made me think of some of the dogs in my town. They may not have booties but some of their owners do push little strollers with their dogs in them!

I think it's a nice idea for a dog who is unable to walk, but it is still a funny sight. You expect to find a baby in the stroller. Instead it's a sweet ball of fur!!

Sportster-Stroller.aspx

jax's_mommy

I agree, it's a neat idea for the dogs who can't walk.

I've only seen them in actual person one time, wasn't a pleasant sight though :(
I remember, about 2 years ago, I saw this lady pushing her dachshund in one. She pushed it right up to a patch of grass, and the dog jumped out did its business and hopped right back in. The poor thing was overweight :( it was capable of walking on its own, which could have helped with that, yet she insisted on pushing it in it.
The only thing I could think was poor doggy :(

Although from what I've seen on TV, or Youtube There are some neat ones to see :)

I'd almost forgotten about the little papoose we had for PD when he was a pup. My son and daughter-in-law were living near Fort Worth, and we drove up to visit them and our first grandbaby. We went to the livestock show and PD was too little to leave in the trailer for a whole day.

Walking through the aisles, looking at the animals and vendors, our kids were pushing the stroller, with the most beautiful baby in the world. And I was walking behind with PD in his pouch, his head poking out.

Those poor proud new parents were pretty much ignored. On the other hand, I was swarmed with folks wanting to see the puppy.

vizzla

I think that is to make them more babies than dog... Dont like it. Dont see it here either.
But I would consider it with a dog who is sick or injured for a while....

Inkeri

I've never seen one of these in Finland in use either. :D We finns seem to lack imagination... ;)

I did see these in a pet-stuff-store, though. There's this very bling-bling pet store that sells only clothes and other cute stuff for pets downtown. They had these for sale and I was thinking who would buy them for their dog... I go to that store now and then to say "awwww" to all the cute (and very expensive) stuff. :D

nola

If the dog is old/injured I'm fine with it, but otherwise it's a bit stupid to me. My dog's legs work, so why not let her walk? It doesn't help the small dog image.

babysis

It's a cute idea for if the dogs have an issue with walking. I have seen them numerous times when I go to the beach. I have tried putting Baby in one a while back just to see what she would do and she attacked it. She wouldn't look at me the rest of the day and when she did it was a sideways look with the whites of her eyes showing.

Penny

We have coats with a D ring to attach a leash, but some days when we are out walking, especially in the woods, bringing a 'hitchhiker' with us breaks the monotony of being stuck in the house for them. If we are out for an hour, we know that the little poopsie is staying warm. With their chest so close to the ground, it takes no time for it to get wet from the snow and get chilled. In our temps, you can't be wet in the winter.

Engli...

Georgia...

Penny

Very nice! That's riding in style. :D
I would love to see more photos of what it's like to hike in Finland. Summer, winter, love it all. I bet the scenery is spectacular.

Inkeri

I have to dig up some good photos of our hikes for you Penny! :) You're right, the scenery is spectacular. :)

Lupita

I used to think dog strollers were dumb, because I assumed (unfairly) that the owner just thought it was cute to wheel around their dog like a baby. Now that my dog has IVDD and can't walk, I think they're great!
Lupi is on crate rest for another month and has already been confined to the house for the last month. I just bought a stroller yesterday, and wish I had gotten it sooner. It's like a mobile crate. I wheel her into whatever room I'm in, so she doesn't feel so isolated. She also got to "walk" around the block for the first time in over a month and absolutely loved it. She even slept in it last night.
With an IVDD dog, giving the scar tissue a chance to form around the discs is essential, and that requires a flat, stable surface for the dog to lay on. The stroller works perfectly, and keeps her off the ground and closer to hands that can pet her.
Lupi is a dog who loved mountain hikes and wooded trails, and being in a stroller is nowhere close to tearing around in the bush, but it's better than being cooped up in the house and getting no stimulation.

sherlock

I think dog strollers are the absolute worst (in most cases!!!) The times that I've seen them, the dog was completely capable, and the owner was just treating it like a baby. No, it's a dog, and your dog needs to walk around.

I do think it's useful in the case of an injured dog, because it's not fair for them to have to be cooped up all the time while they get better. They still need to get out and sniff all the sniffs.

I also think that your pictures, Penny, are SUPER CUTE! It makes me think of seeing a baby strapped to someone's chest, haha. And it's obvious why you have them like that, since it's obviously freezing and the snow is too high for them.

But when people push dogs in strollers for absolutely no reason, I want to kick them. (The owner, not the dog.)