Ruptured discs, x-ray

vizzla

Hello

In Sweden we have a big discussion in the dachshundclub about how to get the breed healtier, focusing om ruptured discs.

Our neighbours - Norway, Finland and Denmark - use a demand of back x-ray for all dachshunds in breeding. They mean that they can see some changes on the discs (calcification) that they mean increases the risc of rutpured discs. In sweden our dachshundclub has the opinion that calcifications are not proven to be THE reason for ruptured discs. So sweden doesnt want to initiate a x-ray program like our neighbours.

How do you think we can breed for healtier dogs? What can we do to improve dachshunds?

Inkeri

Yep, in Finland they don't accept dachsies that have 2 or more calcifications in the "breeding program". But still, people do breed dachsies that have more calc or are not even x-rayed. Our dachshund assosiation actually pays part of the x-rays. I think it's quite cool since the x-rays are quite expensive... :) The assosiation also collects the info and does research.

I just got Manu's back x-rayed in december. He had 7 calcifications... :( Not that I was going to breed him, but that's not a very positive result anyway.

vizzla

Have the rutpured discs reduced in dachshunds since the x-ray program? How long have the program been going on?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
That sounds very interesting! Would you all keep us updated? I'd like to hear how it's going and if the results seem postitve. Not that anything like that would be put in place here, but it's good info to know!

vizzla

yes it is interesting but some scientist mean that there are no such conection, so x-ray doesnt have any effect. But maybe Finland has something else to say? :) I hope they find some way to prevent back-problems.

And then there are those that say we need to add other dogs into the purebred breeds. If we are going to have healthier dogs, we need to broaden the gene pool.

Inkeri

And then there are those that say we need to add other dogs into the purebred breeds. If we are going to have healthier dogs, we need to broaden the gene pool.
I haven't heard discussions about this with dachsies. But with other breeds like cavaliers they are considering it in Finland too.

Actually, I checked the "breeding program"-list and they do accept dogs with more than 2 calc on that list. They just don't recommend using those dogs for breeding. :cool: They say that there are researches that indicate that high level of calc on the back can lead to ruptured discs and back problems. But, I think that it has to do with luck and life-style also. I know dachsie that had only one calc on the back and got back problems and then again my friends dachsie has 7+one extra disc and has no problems. The other one is living an active life, getting massages, eating good food and the other one was over weight coach-potato. ;)

Soon the x-ray info is going to be visible to everybody on Koiranet ( a finnish kennel-site) just like all the important healthy-checks. Which is good when you're searching for a puppy or thinking about breeding. And now the site is available in english too, wow! This is Manu:
KoiraNet-jalostustietojärjestelmä

Last edited:

Inkeri

Have the rutpured discs reduced in dachshunds since the x-ray program? How long have the program been going on?
It's a follow-up reseasch and it has been going on since 1998.

I'm not sure if they have reduced. There's more info available for the breeders, but of course they would have to breed only the "healthy" ones, but we all know that many times that's not the case. But I'd say ppl are more aware which is the first step, I guess. :)

vizzla

In our part of Europe we have good variation in the gene pool so I dont see it nessecary to broaden it. If we can identify the cause of backproblems we can via selective breeding get healtier dogs :)

Not all small-legged dogs like bassets and corgies has these back problems. So I believe if we find good screeningsystems we can make our dachies less exposed to backproblems.

vizzla

Yes awareness is a good first step! And talking about it. I so hope that we can find a good way to screen for backproblems...

Steph

The Dachshund Spine [First Edition] - $11.95 : The Wienepedia, Store

For those of us that are in North America. It's called "The Dachshund Spine" A quote from the site "if you are the owner of a dachshund, beagle, lhasa apso, mini or toy poodle, pekingese, or shih-tzu, having a copy of the second book can literally be a lifesaver!"

I have a copy and just recently was able to download the accompanying pdfs. I plan to take not only the book, but the pdfs as well to my vet when I get Arelus' back xrayed. I'm going to do it just for piece of mind. I may not be able to stop him from "going down" in the back, but I may end up with an idea of where the problem is when/ if it does happen.