Puppy won't poop outside

HilyBee

Sounds like the play pen and pads are doing ok. Keep at it.

With praising - praise a little right after she pees and then heavily after both. Especially if she stops and doesn't look interested in searching after she pees. If you praise too much she will get distracted like you said and forget what she is outside to do. :)

jake1133

Another update.

Last night went really well. Exercised her pretty good in the evening. She is peeing and pooping in the potty area outside. I've noticed that if she has to much energy then she won't really focus on potty when I put her in the potty area, but if I have been exercising her a lot, then she usually will potty right away. If she has to much energy, then the potty area is just another play area.

She went to bed around 10pm, woke up around 3:30am and I took her outside and she peed and pooped, brought her back in and she settled down in her crate right away and went back to sleep until 5:30am when we decided to get up. She didn't go in her crate at all, so again I'm feeling really good about how things are moving forward.

I just wish I could get her to do all her pooping during the day and not at 3:30am.

jake1133

Does anyone have any opinions on this, or does it just depend and do whatever works best for my dog?

Right now i have a pen set up outside where I want her to go potty. So when I take her out to potty I put her in the pen. Not sure if she needs a bigger potty area than that.

Or is it better to not have a pen and just take her to potty area on leash?

vizzla

She has been with you for only a few days. She must have some time to adjust. She is taken away from her safty of mother and mates. Give her time.

She is most likely stressed. Be patient.

Has she had a health check before you bought her?

AmeliaBedelia

My puppy just turned 4 mo. and when we got him he did not poop very much. I received him as a surprise from my boyfriend and from what I heard, I think he might have come from a 'puppy mill'. He would always scarf down food and it seemed I couldn't give him enough water. He's gotten much better and is able to graze throughout the day instead. He still has trouble focusing on going potty when I take him out. He sees it more as play time and he will not potty when taken on a walk either. I keep a puppy pad out, but he still chooses other areas when he's busy playing. I set an alarm on my phone for every 45 minutes, called the "potty duck" because he really responds to the duck ringtone on my iPhone so it catches his attention and he knows it's time to go outside. This is how the bell works in a way when you bell train your dog. I found it really helpful, even though he still has his accidents in the house, he's still only 4 months old!

Beeb

New 8 week old dachshund. Have had her for 4 days now.

Most people say a dog will potty 5 to 30 minutes after eating. Not my dog, she will wait hours sometimes. When I take her outside she seems to distracted to potty.

This morning for example, I caught her just about to poop on the floor, so I picked her up and took her outside to the potty area. I stood there for 30 minutes with her on leash, but all she did was sniff around and play. That was 3 hours ago and 2 trips outside, still no poop.

When she woke up this morning she did go pee outside, but now after eating and drinking, nothing.

I thought that maybe I had to get her more tired first when we go outside, so we walked for about 45 minutes, she was tired, but wouldn't potty, brought her in and now she is sleeping.

So pee happens randomly, but not normal times like after eating, so hard to predict. Poop outside has never happened. She has pooped in her very small crate. When I catch her about to poop in the house and take her out, she won't go.

What am I doing wrong? Any help?
Hi, I'm having the same problem and I need HELP!! Got a 3 1/2 month doxie from a puppy mill Amish farm, but did not know this until after I purchased her. My problem is she will pee/poop in her crate and even though we are taking her out every hour and stay out with her for long periods of time, she is now coming into the house to pee/poop! I don't know what to do, never had this problem with any of the 5 dogs/puppies I have had. OH, and she will go all night from about 11 to 5:30 and will let us know she has to go out, goes out and does wonderful but this seems to be the ONLY time it works!! HELP!!!!

Last edited:

Nell

How long is she left in the crate during the day?

If she can hold it that long at night she clearly has perfect control. Is she in the crate at night?

One thing for sure is you need to try to totally eliminate the smell in doors and this isn't easy, even if you clean up after her really well she will still be able to smell where she has been. If she has messed on her bedding get rid of it before you start a new regime.

At 3 1/2 months she needs to be clean and the longer this goes on the harder the habit will be to brake. Set a couple of days aside (the weekend if this is best). It really is worth trying to devote a couple of days to her to get her over this as soon as possible.

Then watch her like a hawk all the time. All pups sniff for the right spot before they go so you need to be very vigilant, as soon as she looks like she is searching for somewhere to go pick her up quick and take her out. When she does go outside she will need plenty of fuss and a reward with a game.

Hope this helps, a couple of days spent helping her to learn now will save you so much trouble in the future, good luck.

Beeb

How long is she left in the crate during the day?

If she can hold it that long at night she clearly has perfect control. Is she in the crate at night?

One thing for sure is you need to try to totally eliminate the smell in doors and this isn't easy, even if you clean up after her really well she will still be able to smell where she has been. If she has messed on her bedding get rid of it before you start a new regime.

At 3 1/2 months she needs to be clean and the longer this goes on the harder the habit will be to brake. Set a couple of days aside (the weekend if this is best). It really is worth trying to devote a couple of days to her to get her over this as soon as possible.

Then watch her like a hawk all the time. All pups sniff for the right spot before they go so you need to be very vigilant, as soon as she looks like she is searching for somewhere to go pick her up quick and take her out. When she does go outside she will need plenty of fuss and a reward with a game.

Hope this helps, a couple of days spent helping her to learn now will save you so much trouble in the future, good luck.
Thanks for the advice and believe me I HAVE done all that you are talking about and more! I have had 4 other dogs and never have had this problem. Today is a good day so far. She is giving me signals that she wants to go out so it looks like we are making headway in our potty training. The crate issue is a BIG one since she was a rescue from an Amish family where she had been crated and very seldom let out of that crate for the first 3 months of her life. Shame on them!!

My trusted Vet of 25 years told me yesterday that the crate training is going to have to be re-thought since she has been defecating in her crate since birth and the natural instinct not too is now damaged. We have 2 crates now, per the Vet's suggestion, attached to each other, one small, one bigger, one for sleeping, one for potty. This attachment is only put into place when we leave the house to stop her from defecating where she is sleeping/sitting. When we come home the larger crate is pulled away, closed up, and stored by the door, again as per our Vet's suggestion to get her use to going to the door. The smaller crate is left in place, door open and she does go in there to sleep during the day! This is a HUGH step, believe me! Last night the double crate worked like a charm! Will have another time this evening where she will have to be crated when I leave for work and hubby isn't home yet. And many will say it's a bad idea, she is getting the wrong message but the solution right now is to help her instincts to kick back in so she can be left in one crate and she will not mess.

Slow and steady with our little, damaged pup but we will get there. I'm seeing SO much progress from the little, scare, dirty and confused pup we brought home 2 1/2 weeks ago. She plays, she runs, she cuddles and is a puppy again! Everyday I see a little more light at the end of the tunnel and she is a very smart dog that will get it, I just know it!! :)

Last edited:

Nell

This sounds like an excellent idea!

I didn't realise she has been defecating in her crate so long, poor baby.

All dogs will move off their bed given the chance, I don't think this is giving her the wrong message at all, it is reinforcing the idea not to soil the crate.

Just an idea, do you use puppy pads? I did the same thing with my baby split her sleeping quarters in two with puppy pads at one end, I then put a puppy pad by the back door and she used it there when not in the bed. This worked really well to get her to go to the door.

Sounds like you have plenty of experience, I am sure you will get round this and what a lucky girl to have found a such a caring home.

Beeb

This sounds like an excellent idea!

I didn't realise she has been defecating in her crate so long, poor baby.

All dogs will move off their bed given the chance, I don't think this is giving her the wrong message at all, it is reinforcing the idea not to soil the crate.

Just an idea, do you use puppy pads? I did the same thing with my baby split her sleeping quarters in two with puppy pads at one end, I then put a puppy pad by the back door and she used it there when not in the bed. This worked really well to get her to go to the door.

Sounds like you have plenty of experience, I am sure you will get round this and what a lucky girl to have found a such a caring home.
Thanks so much for the encouragement and kindness! She is doing so well with the potty training, again another good day with letting me know she needs to go out! I think we will have this down in no time now, there is hope! :) I'm using the puppy pads in the larger crate and when I move this crate away when we get home we put the crate by the door. We remove the pad, move the tray to the top of the cage. This lets her run to the door, but not go next to the crate, which Dr. Menez said could happen. So far, so good! Lots of love and plenty of tolerance and patience will help Miss Katie un-learn the bad and learn to be a regular puppy/dog again! I just adore her! :)

Barron

Housebreaking option for Jake to consider.

Jake,
I am new to this site, and apologize for jumping in here. My two dogs (see photo) learned to use an indoor dog toilet Piddle Place Home Page - Piddle Place They took to it right away. I would let them outside, and when they were in the act of peeing, I would say "go piddle" and give then a piece of chicken. After a few days, I would say "go piddle" and they would. I then took them to the Piddle Place, and said "go piddle" They got the idea and have been using it ever since. You'll love this pet relief system, and it will serve you well for the life of your dog. Great for when you travel, etc. I hope this works for you, that way you don't have to walk your dog in the rain, and your dog has an option for relieving himself when you are not home. It a new concept, but one that won best new pet product 2013 from Pet Product News International That's where I found it.
Let me know what happens! Good luck