Peanut problems. :(

Peanut

Peanut is starting to chew on EVERYTHING! I've had her since 16 weeks and we have never had any problems. We keep plenty of toys around; ropes, squeaker toys, rubber toys, antlers, occasional rawhide, and even still have the teething toys since we're getting the new puppy. So there's plenty. We never had ANY problems when she was a puppy, so I don't understand why my 9 month old dog is chewing on everything. She dug/chewed a hole in the middle of my bed while I was washing the sheets; The corner off of a recliner; My shoes; Chapstick; My son's toys (only plastic ones, it seems only the tires); Toilet paper/napkins... It's like I have an 8 week old puppy, and I haven't given them toys, so she's becoming destructive..

Nothing has really changed around here. Only thing I've noticed that is different is that Nemo has been more attached to me, and she gets jealous, so if I give Nemo any attention without her, she just seems kinda upset, honestly. I've tried giving her plenty more attention, but the second Nemo gets on my lap, she's still jealous.

Anything I can do?

HilyBee

Try re-introducing her to the toys - stuffing the Kongs with new flavors; playing different types of games. Maybe the toys are just getting boring. I know my boy gets bored with his toys and shreds them. He will play with a toy for weeks then all the sudden just ignores the toy for a couple days and then ruins it. lol

Is she teething or have any problems with her teeth? They tend to chew a TON if their teeth or gums are sore.

If she only chews on stuff when you are paying more attention to Nemo... it's a jealousy thing. I'm no help there. I've never dealt with that. :/

Peanut

I've got a kong, I've put peanut butter in it, she's not a fan. Anything else I can try?

I don't think she's got anything wrong. Nothing looks abnormal, no odd colors, no odd smells.. Very clean, so I'm not sure.

It's not only when Nemo's getting attention, but that's a big part of it. If she's not chewing, she's right in my face pawing at me for attention. The other day we were in the car going to pick up my Fiance and Peanut ALWAYS sits in the back window. This particular day, Nemo decided he wanted to ride on my lap. No big deal, or so I thought. Peanut came up and shoved him out of the way and rode the whole way on my lap. I'd say a big part of it's definitely jealousy. Though it happens other times as well.

Nell

Has something happened to make her feel a bit unsecure? I know with one of mine if anything upsets him he is VERY clingy for a while. The chewing thing I think I would get her teeth checked by a vet if she has toothache (and it may not be obvious to look at) this could be what is unsettling her?

vizzla

What sort of mental stimulation does she get?

An understimulated dog often starts entertaining themselvese.
Start bloodtracking or tricktraining. Dachshunds are smart and if they dont have a task to do they may start this behaviour. We have the same problem with our new guy. We have to find something for him to do that gets him tired...

HilyBee

There are tons of homemade Kong stuffing recipes online that are safe for pups. I'd just Google it. :) For my little guy, I use Peanut Butter, honey, banana and cherrios. I freeze it for 15-20 minutes then give it to him. He goes crazy for it! If she doesn't like PB, try just fresh fruit, cereal or some canned cat food. :)

Peanut

Has something happened to make her feel a bit unsecure? I know with one of mine if anything upsets him he is VERY clingy for a while. The chewing thing I think I would get her teeth checked by a vet if she has toothache (and it may not be obvious to look at) this could be what is unsettling her?
Nothing has changed other than Nemo becoming clingy for no apparent reason. There for awhile he wanted nothing to do with anybody really. Now he wants love and attention all the time.. That's the only thing I've noticed, and then drew the conclusion that maybe Peanut is jealous because Nemo's trying to get the attention.

Peanut

What sort of mental stimulation does she get?

An understimulated dog often starts entertaining themselvese.
Start bloodtracking or tricktraining. Dachshunds are smart and if they dont have a task to do they may start this behaviour. We have the same problem with our new guy. We have to find something for him to do that gets him tired...
We play fetch, and tug-o-war, as well as obedience training for a little bit each day. Last night after I posted this I played fetch/tug-o-war for about 45 minutes, and she was exhausted. I finally got in bed myself, then 10 minutes later she's up chewing on my son's tractor. We even have a tire/rope toy, so I figure since she's always chewing on the tires of my son's toys, that would help.. But no, she doesn't want anything to do with it unless I'm playing with her.

crystalclear1027

I bought a ball from Kmart and I put kibble in it. They roll it around til some kibble fall out and they eat it. It tires them out and love the ball.

HilyBee

Hopefully the new toy will make her tired enough so she's not chewing on everything else. Sounds like she was just jealous and a little bored.

When we took Milo to emergency to have a stick removed from the back of his mouth I asked when the chewing would stop. The vet said for this breed at about 18 months and the behavior did decrease dramatically at that age (and like in your case did not start as a young puppy). At 2.5 years has he completely stopped chewing? Not really. Sorry. He was even asked not to return to a home-based boarding location becuase of chewing at the age of 2.

A few months ago I posted a short list of things he has eaten, from Brillo pads to hearing aids to Netflix DVD's, as well as the usual shoes and furniture and bed linens. It's amazing what they can reach when you are distracted for a few seconds.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Omg... I'm not the only one with a doxie who dug a hole in my mattress! Yayyyyy! Though Mouse ripped a hole in the fitted sheet to access it lol

Oh, and she was 2.5 years when she did that lol

Peanut

I've checked her mouth through and through, Cannot find anything, and there's still nothing that looks infected, irritated, or anything. I brushed her teeth, it didn't hurt her or anything. I really don't think it's anything in her mouth. I really can't think it's anything except being jealous, when I think about it.

I did end up putting more peanut butter in the Kong toy and froze it this time, she actually enjoyed it. I've been really sick lately, so she's had less outside time, and I can also tell she's getting bored. Tonight she found a bug and was going crazy over it, her hunting instincts truly kicked in. I think I just need to get her into something that'll decrease the boredom. I'll try searching for something.

I was so mad when I found out she did it! Of course, there was nothing I could do about it. I left it as is, when I can keep her out of the room, I'll eventually flip it over so that hole is underneath, or just buy a new one.

She chewed up my Fiance's glasses the other day, 120$ glasses down the drain. Had to renew his prescription and buy new lenses and frames.. Quite ridiculous!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Ya. Mouse actually showed me what she did. Diving under the sheet. I pulled up the sheet and there she was sitting in the hole... she was so proud of herself and I was in shock lol cant get mad... but I was never more tempted to smack a dog!