Licking habit

• Thread starter Deleted member 3082
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 3082

One of our Dachshunds, "Lady" (1 1/2 yrs old) , licks the upholstered furniture, my jeans pantleg, the carpet, and hands. I have tried putting a soft toy in front of her, and telling her to, "Stop!", to no avail. Her sister sibling, same age, licks the carpet, too --- what is the best way to discourage this habit?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I have had my dog Sam for 9 years and its ongoing. He licks people thou.. lol

D

Deleted member 3082

What have you tried to make Sam stop licking, Admin?

Nonnie

CaseyKC

You could try a bitter apple spray. Not sure if it stains fabric or not, but works on wood. Apparently it tastes awful and dogs don,t want to chew or taste anything it is sprayed on.

D

Deleted member 3082

CaseyKC, thank you for the reply. Yes, I have Bitter Apple spray; used it when they were puppies and chewed the plastic on their crate :)---as I recall it did work. I hadn't thought of using it on the carpet and furniture. I'll try it on a small, "hidden" area of the fabrics first. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Nonnie

CaseyKC

Did you try bitter apple? Did it stain carpet/fabric? I also found out that Tabasco Sauce will quickly reduce enthusiasm for licking. You can let your dog smell it on a piece of something to eat, or maybe some on your hand for him/her to lick. If they eat/lick it, they won't be anxious to repeat the tasting experience the next time they smell it.

D

Deleted member 3082

Yes, Casey, I sprayed a light amount on the carpet and on an upholstered rocker---I saw no evidence of discoloration.

Nonnie