How are the mental health on dachshounds where you live?

Penny

I'm pretty new to doxies. I took in a 9-10 y/o girl that had been bred many times over. She's basically a sweet dog.
She DID snap at my daughter A LOT at first. She got in trouble for it and has since learned that my dd won't hurt her. To clarify, dd has never been rough with her or mishandled Lucy; I won't allow that either and have told dd that if she's too close and doesn't give Lucy some room, she's going to snap. But, at first I had to really watch Lucy (the dog) bc she'd bite at my dd when she thought I wasn't looking even if my dd was just petting her gently. She's probably been around rowdy or unruly and mean kids in the past so I know I have to give her a chance and some space with dd.

Downsides I've seen:
- High maintenance personality (arrogant, grandios LOL)
- Demanding
- Obstinate
- Stubborn
- Jealous
- Aggressive (quick to bite)
- Selective hearing
- Selective obedience

Honestly, it's been difficult lately. I didn't raise this dog, she came to us as an adult, with her personality, traits, habbits, esteem, already complete. We're almost six months in and I'm beginning to see the downsides. It is the stubbornness and high-maintenance personality that are the turn-offs for me.

These dogs are better suited for people who can and will devote themselves to the dog and put them above all else with no expectations of a return. At least that's my experience. My doxie isn't particularly loving or affectionate or even obedient, but she expects to get her way on all things. Not a good trade of for me.

That stubbornness is their downfall. It is the one thing that less of would make them a better breed for companionship. These dogs aren't bred for hunting anymore, they're more ornamental and bred for companionship. The stubbornness is obsolete.

So, I can see where they get the reputation as being nasty little bitting dogs.

One more thing- if she thinks she's getting discliplined, she tries to bite me. BIG mistake. HUGE! Or if she won't go in her kennel and I have to drag her from under the bed- she tries to bite me -- again BIG mistake!! :mad:
First of all, I want to say THANK YOU for adopting Lucy! You are giving her a 2nd chance in life, a warm bed, good food, a family. I know many people who love dachshunds but would not take Lucy in like you did. The reason I know is that all of my doxies came to live with me as adults and people told me that they would never do that.

I have to say that doxies are not for everyone. I feel very fortunate for the doxies I have but I've met many who I didn't like at all. Makes me think that a next dog just may be a poodle. :p

I think the long hair doxies might have a more gentle temperament, less inclined to bite, etc.

As for getting her out from under the bed and possibly getting bitten, perhaps you can start a separate thread on this issue and find a solution to getting her into her kennel in a way that's more agreeable to both of you. I know one lady who has a special 'kennel treat' that when she takes it out, her 2 boys run into their kennels and wag their tails, knowing that special thing they love is only given in their kennels. They have never been kennel (breeding) dogs since they were brought home as a puppy, but let's see if we can't find some ideas that can work for Lucy.

Kkt1206

It's the dog, not the breed.

So sad that people think thay are mean! ]

It's a shame that all doxies get a bad reputation because of the behavior of some. I've seen a nasty golden retriever. But dachshunds temperament is totally the result of good breeding and good socialization.i've had eight doxies in my life and only one was a fear biter. If I knew then what I knew now, I could've picked out that he would have problems when I bought him. He was the sad looking little one cowering in the back of the kennel while the others jumped up to greet me. I felt sorry for him. I now know that is not a good sign. He was a sweet dog and generally well behaved, but would bite if startled or scared.

Reputable dachshund breeders, particularly those who breed show dogs, generally work very hard to breed out any negative personality characteristics. They work with the genetics instead of just sticking two dogs together as so many home puppy mills do. Of coarse you pay more when you buy from a good breeder, but then you get what you pay for.

Another piece related to the type of dachshund is that wire haired are known for being the most aggressive and hard to manage, followed by short hairs. Long-haired are said to be the calmest and most laid back of the bunch. The newer English creams are said to be even more laid back. I have found that to be absolutely true having been around all kinds.

Lastly, any aggressive behavior is usually the product of poor socialization and training. I make it a habit to get my young puppies around as many different people and other animals as possible. My 10-month-old long-haired has had my year old grandchild crawl all over her and pull her ears, and she has grown to be comfortable around family members' American bull dog and Dalmation. She is also friendly around the neighbor's cats. And any stranger can walk up and pick her up.

I realize none of this applies to those kind souls who take in older or rescue dogs. They don't know what has been in the dogs' background and their behaviors are well formed. God bless you for taking on such dogs. And they can be trained if you have the patience and time.

As for the dachshund stubbornness...well, I think that is there to stay!

vizzla

I think you should be very careful when children and dogs play. Even a friendly dog can bite if the child is to hard on it or accidentaly harms the dog.

The stubbornness is there to stay. Its been bred that way so they would be god hunters. If they gave up easely they wouldnt make it out of a den.

I love these little ones and hope people start to read about the breed BEFORE they get one! So they will understand why they do things their way. :)