Help with dificult wound

vizzla

Hello,

Our dachshund has an ulcer at the anal opening . Looks like the skin is stripped . He has had this twice before but with xyloproct ( anal cream for humans against hemorojder and anal itching ) and it has disappeared by itself before.

This time it has not gone away despite treatment with xyloproct . We have obviously been to the vet and she decided that it was a clean cut, but it inflamed around. We got metacam (antiiinflammatoric) to see if it could help. It has not made ​​any difference .

We have been advised to wash with drying zinc paste for children. Does not work either. We have bathed with lukewarm water.
He has had funnel (to prevent him from licking) in periods (a few weeks ) but it has not helped.

We have e-mail contact with the vet right now , most recently today. has sent a new picture of the wound , see below.

Anyone know what it could be or recognize like ?

The dog itself is not affected it seems . He is not licking what we see and we are with him all the time or he is with in-laws who are also well aware of the wash and see that the wound is clean and that he can not reach.

He has no fever. He eats and is as enthusiastic as usual. The poop are normal . He drinks normally .

We do not know what to do and the vet begins to run out of advice. Now she wanted to possibly try an antibiotic cream.
I am doubtful if it is bacterial then it is not infected , the swelling is soft and there is no abscess. Anal sacs are obviously checked and emptied by a veterinarian.

I am looking for tips on what we can ask the vet to check any check for samples or so .
Dad is thinking it may be hemorrhojds ? Could it be that simple?
I'm starting to get worried that there is something seriously when we do not overcome it .

Grateful for any input .

Attachments

I don't know if it's a bacterial infection but it wouldn't hurt to try topical antibiotics. Can you get a culture? People, so I assume dogs too, also get fungal infections and that's a different treatment. Eventually he might need minor surgery to clean up the wound.

vizzla

Hi We spoke to the vet today and they want to try a biopsy next friday. So we might know more then. I hope he is okey. The first vet said that it might be some kinde of rubbing, chafing effect.

crystalclear1027

Could it possibly be a lick sore? Our lab had something on her foot that looked like that. We cleaned it twice daily with peroxide and then put desitin on it. It took about two weeks for it to heal.

Nell

Poor boy, it does look very sore. Hope everything goes well with the biopsy, fingers crossed its nothing nasty. Please keep us all updated.

vizzla

Poor boy, it does look very sore. Hope everything goes well with the biopsy, fingers crossed its nothing nasty. Please keep us all updated.

He is at the AnimalClinic now. They wanted to try to take it all away but they couldnt decide untill he is sleeping. Im just hoping he will be ok. They didnt think it look infected.

Nell

I do hope he is OK, did they say what they thought it was?
It might heel a bit easier if they remove it, let us know how things are going and we be thinking of you both.

vizzla

Now he is home. He is very sleepy of the meds. Just got up to drink and pee outside for a little while. So happy he is home.
Now we have to wait for 2 weeks for the analys of the biopsy.
We got an antibiotic cream twice a day for 1 week.
Really hope he gets rid of this sh*t! Only want him to be all right again. My happy loving dachshund! <3

vizzla

I do hope he is OK, did they say what they thought it was?
It might heel a bit easier if they remove it, let us know how things are going and we be thinking of you both.
They just did the bipsy of a little piece. So didnt take the whole thing off. He has stiches that will fall of so no need to check up for that.

Since we got the cream and they didnt take the whole thing I think that they believe it is a difficult wound to heal. So I really hope the antibiotic will help!

vizzla

Now a week has past and the wound seems to be healing a little bit! We havent got the results yet but I just want it to heal! He is happy and playing all he can.

Nell

So pleased to hear its healing! lets hope this is a good sign for the results, fingers crossed for you both.

vizzla

We got the answer from the biopsy now. It is a benign lump in a gland (not the analglands). But this one is in a spot that cant be operated. The vet says it could be caused by hormones and suggest we concider neuter him. I dont want to do that but if it helps I will do it.

Anyone heard of a adenom?

Nell

So glad it is benign!

A perianal gland adenoma is a type of tumour found near the anus in dogs that arises from specialized glandular tissue found in the perineum. It is most commonly seen in intact (not neutered) dogs and is the third most common tumour type in intact male dogs, 95% of perianal gland adenomas will disappear after neutering the dog. Removing the tumour and neutering the dog at the same time will help prevent recurrence so it is well worth the operation.

vizzla

So glad it is benign!

A perianal gland adenoma is a type of tumour found near the anus in dogs that arises from specialized glandular tissue found in the perineum. It is most commonly seen in intact (not neutered) dogs and is the third most common tumour type in intact male dogs, 95% of perianal gland adenomas will disappear after neutering the dog. Removing the tumour and neutering the dog at the same time will help prevent recurrence so it is well worth the operation.
Thank you! I will speak to the vet again and book him for an neut. op. I just want him to be ok! He is my little special friend.

crystalclear1027

We had a four year old German shorthaired pointer neutered before, because he had seizures and we didn't want to breed him and have puppies with the same problems. He was his normal self and acted no different.