Energetic Big Dog

Stanley+Stella

Does anyone on here have a larger dog in addition to your dachshund? We have a 3 1/2 year old boxer/pitt mix, Stella, and a 5 mo. old mini, Stanley. Stella loves Stanley - she even cried when Stanley got his shots at the vet!

Stella is very curious about Stanley. Every movement he makes, she she needs to check in even if that means abruptly getting up off the couch and running towards him just to sniff his nose.

When they play and get running, Stella will hop over him which is fine, but sometimes she gets her nose under him and lifts him up or knocks him over. Also, Stanley - being a ferocious dachshund - will keep going after her even when she has walked away to calm down or just go do something else. She's never mad at him or aggressive AT ALL, but I'm worried that being a boxer/pitt mix she will get too excited and possible hurt him on accident with her size and "boundy-ness". I mean, Stella is 60 lbs to Stanley's 8!

Does anyone have a a similar dog set up? Should I let them continue to duke it out or separate them in those excitable moments?

Thanks! :)

Attachments

Nell

I think they will work it out. It sounds as though Stanley has brought out the mothering instinct in Stella, if Stella accidently hurts Stanley he will yelp and she will soon get the message. Friends come in all shapes and sizes lol! I once had a dog that would curl up under my horses hooves in the straw! she never trod on him once and would sleep with her head hung over him as if he were her foal!

Have a look at this photo! lol!

Attachments

jarredfeet

One owner at the park have dachshund and a huge boxer mix and they are totally fine together, in fact her dachshund seemed more as alpha dog than him. In any home with two or more dogs, the key to keep the harmony is close supervision especially whenever someone gets too aggressive or defensive so they won't develop any habit.

Stanley+Stella

Nell, that is so sweet about the horse! And such a cute pic! Thank you both. I know Stella loves him, I just want to make sure when she gets excited by him and vice versa that she knows to be gentle! She may be going on 4, but she is a big ole baby! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stanley+Stella

Ah! I feel like giving up! Stella is normally so calm at home, but Stanley is sooo interesting to her that it makes her anxious because she wants to play with him at all times.

Then when she does play she ends up hurting him with her quick movements and body weight.

When they're separated they both seem so much happier. Did I make a mistake by adding Stanley to the family? :(

Feeling discouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nell

Sorry you are feeling discouraged, I am sure you will be able to work this out, hang in there.

Stella clearly loves the pup and its only natural she wants to play. Have you tried taking them out together for a really long walk, this will tire Stella out and hopefully calm the situation down a bit. Does Stella like chasing a ball? if you can take them out together and concentrate on playing with Stella this will hopefully distract her from Stanley and get them used to being in each others company without her obsessing over Stanley. Does Stella get to interact with other dogs? getting them both out with other dogs will help as well.

When you are indoors try to get Stella to focus on you a bit more by having some of her favourite treats in your pocket and keep calling her to you to distract her from Stanley a bit. The trouble is the more you separate them the more excited Stella will be when Stanley is reintroduced. If it was me I would try to keep them together and weather the storm till things calmed down.

Good luck, I do hope things work out for you all.