Double dapple

Stephendun

Me and my partner have done a wisdom panel and I've messaged then to ask if she was a double dapple and they've said yes she was but doesn't hold any characteristics of a double dapple. Apart from that one white patch on her chest. I'm doubting she is a double dapple.

If she were if she was bred with a non dapple. Would the puppies be just a dapple ?

Attachments

Cashs Mom

She could well be out of double dapple breeding but not exhibit double dapple coloring. I had one that looked very much like her who's brother was almost all white with the small eyes that double dapple's often have. He was also blind and deaf.

Are you specifically wanting a double dapple? It's a very poor breeding with way too many recessives. There are a lot of health problems associated with that type of breeding. I'd steer away from it if possible.

Stephendun

She could well be out of double dapple breeding but not exhibit double dapple coloring. I had one that looked very much like her who's brother was almost all white with the small eyes that double dapple's often have. He was also blind and deaf.

Are you specifically wanting a double dapple? It's a very poor breeding with way too many recessives. There are a lot of health problems associated with that type of breeding. I'd steer away from it if possible.

Oh no I would dream of breeding her with a dapple to make more. I've heard that if she was a double dapple you can breed here with a non merle gene carrier so the babies we come out just dapple.?

Stephendun

Oh why's that ? Parents can only pass on one of the genes so the puppies would just be the standard merle dapple doxies that you get if bred with a non merle doxie

Cashs Mom

Too many recessives and that is never a good thing. Dominant genes in one parent can only override so much of the recessive. Besides, there are so many wonderful dogs in rescue waiting for homes, I don't feel like I have to breed to get good dogs.

Chariya

Genetic testing is recommended on both male and female dogs to try and prevent double dapple puppies. Breeding a male and female dapple together is not a good idea, high chance of double dapple puppies. The breeder I got the dog in the picture from does genetic testing and will not breed male and female dapples together.