Dog eats cat poop

BelowHylan

Hello Everyone,

I have read in one of the threads here that dogs like cat poop due to its high protein content. I am trying to get over the disgusting factor (she loves to kiss me) and while holding on to the idea of knowing where the poop came from is comforting, I still would like her to stop.

She is a puppy (dob 4/28/2014) and I have started training her, working on the sit and recall commands. Using freeze dried liver for positive reinforcement. Seems to be going OK but apparently poop is way tastier than liver. The litter box is accessible to her when she isn't crated because it also has to be accessible to ZeKat, although I could possible put it up high while she is roaming free. Ideally of course I would like to stop this from happening, I do not plan on crating her after she is fully potty trained. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

GJBain

Hello Everyone,

I have read in one of the threads here that dogs like cat poop due to its high protein content. I am trying to get over the disgusting factor (she loves to kiss me) and while holding on to the idea of knowing where the poop came from is comforting, I still would like her to stop.

She is a puppy (dob 4/28/2014) and I have started training her, working on the sit and recall commands. Using freeze dried liver for positive reinforcement. Seems to be going OK but apparently poop is way tastier than liver. The litter box is accessible to her when she isn't crated because it also has to be accessible to ZeKat, although I could possible put it up high while she is roaming free. Ideally of course I would like to stop this from happening, I do not plan on crating her after she is fully potty trained. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

I don't have an answer to your question but noticed you are from N.Y. I am from N.Y. too. Where in N.Y. are you from?

Inkeri

Yep, cat poop is a treat. :p My dog stopped going for the litter box when he was about 7 months. Even though it's not bad for them, I didn't let him eat the poop. I lifted the litter box on higher ground until it didn't interest him anymore.

BelowHylan

LOL! You will not believe but I have tried this with ZeKat. He did fine with number 1 but number 2 continuously ended up in the corner of the bathroom. It actually took a lot of work to switch him back to the litter box, I had to keep the bathroom door closed for months afterwards. Having said that, it worked very well for my friend's cat, so it's just him :)

For now I lift the litter box up on to a chair. Zoya is also getting more responsive to commands and while I walk her I am less worried about her eating nasties. 'This too shall pass". :)

Orange County is nice! We like to go camping upstate, the change from NYC is tremendous, of course. One day I will move :)

Thank you everyone!

Barron

LOL,, okay don't mean to laugh, but Barron does the same thing. I thought it was just me. I asked the vet, and you are exactly right. They like the protein.
I finally bought a kitty litter box for Grady that was enclosed my Barron can't get inside, but now my cats is messing on the floor : )

BelowHylan

LOL! I am still coordinating. When Zoya isn't crated, the litter box, cat food and ZeKat are all lifted above ground.. I swear, this dog is either not very bright or is too brave for her own good. Ze Kat is triple her size and weight and she continuously goes after him... He has the patience of a saint.